Review: Bacchae

Euripides in translation attempts to bring sexy Bacch

The cloisters of New College provided the setting for their ‘The Bacchae’, a performance which adhered to classical traditions whilst adding some modern twists.

The Greek chorus were well-practised and impressively handled the rhythm of the original Greek metre – occasional weak moments were rescued by the eager endeavours of the chorus leader, Lara Panahy. Drums and a solitary tambourine intensified their lines successfully.

Henry Ashwell handled the role of Dionysus well, keeping up his cool authority and arrogant air throughout the play. The dynamic of the relationship between him and Pentheus (Henry Hudson) was striking. However, his green t-shirt and jeans – with the seemingly last minute addition of a gold necklace – was inappropriate and bizarrely casual.

Other costumes were used more effectively – the contrast of the Chorus’ bright dresses to Pentheus’ suit and tie helped to accentuate his sober and businesslike manner. Much to the crowd’s amusement, he was even flanked by two FBI style attendants – suited up and sunglass clad.

Cadmus (Thomas Lodge) and Teiresias (Stuart Thomson) wore suits underneath dappled fawn skins. This created a sharp contrast when Pentheus’ appearance is taken one step further – no suit and the addition of a blonde wig manifest his change in attitude once under Dionysus’ spell. His engaging madness and bright excitable mood were suitably exaggerated and amusing to watch, and his adopted femininity was acted with great panache.

The lacklustre performance of the second messenger (Alex Chance) was redeemed by the crazed Agave (Poppy Rimington-Pounder), who managed to uphold the momentum of the play and put in a strong performance. Her final scene with Cadmus was both poignant and touching.

Overall, a well cast play, predominantly well acted and put together – an admirable attempt at conveying the dramatic power of Euripides’ play.