Three Lessons Of The Week (Again)

Here to drop some more knowledge, innit.

| UPDATED column three lessons tom goulding

1. Advice for single Lads.

I wasn’t sure what to write this week – I was going to try to pass off as journalism some out-of-the-blue claims about what an Oxford Drama Society leader likes in the bedroom, which is neither my business, yours or anyone’s except for hers and the person she invites into said bedroom. But apparently this has already been done.

Then I was going to write about how the Tab comments should be linked to Facebook profiles so people couldn’t hide behind anonymity, but then I realised no-one would actually read the Tab. (Only joking, editors! Love you guys).

So I thought I’d stick to my area of expertise – advice for men on how to get women. I’ve learnt a few things since the teenage days of simply increasing the number of ‘xxx’s on the end of a text to let someone know you like them. Such as:

NOT ALLOWED: giving a girl so many drugs to put up her nose that she feels all emotional and warm, then she looks for someone to emote with and BAM – you lean in. They’re drugs so it’s immoral!

ALLOWED: subtly buying a girl so many drinks at the bar to pour down her mouth that she loses sense of who she is attracted to and then BAM – you lean in. That’s alcohol so it’s fine!

A crucial difference.

2. National newspapers are so nasty!

The one thing more enjoyable than the image of Oxbridge as an elitist, exclusive centre for snobbery perpetuated in the press is the endearing, uber-outrage of Oxbridge students in response who have too much of a raging hard-on to be taken seriously. We are real people with real opinions! It’s so mean to generalize!

3. Please legalize assisted suicide

Oxide Radio has merchandise for sale. Before you get excited, it’s a t-shirt with ‘Keep Calm and Listen To Oxide Radio’ on it.

As a cultural institution which makes me want to euthanize myself, the Keep Calm brand is right up there with How I Met Your Mother and people who post ‘Shoe The Tabs!’ on Facebook when it’s the boat race.

The variations get worse. Keep Calm and Bake Cakes. Keep Calm and Do The Harlem Shake. Keep Calm and Mourn Diana. (Actually I sort of want that one). Keep Calm and Bun THC. Is your brain melting yet, bros?

The brand has spawned posters, t-shirts, mugs, condoms (yes, condoms) – all from one Ministry of Information poster in 1939.

Keep Calm and Fetch The Noose.