Oxford is the Worst Place to Battle Depression

For those battling depression, the Oxford privilege can be a curse.

depression finalists finals

The idea of a depressed Oxford student probably makes some people nauseous: To study at Oxford (even as a visiting student) is a privilege the less fortunate would kill for.

But this assumption ignores the fact that depression develops in different people for different reasons. People get depressed because of relationships, past traumas, and deaths. Many people are depressed simply because they are depressed.

Depression has nothing to do with privilege.

Yes, Tumblr users create Sylvia Plath memes.

Colleges have invested in great welfare departments for these individuals; in town great mental health professionals offer therapy. But neither health care professionals nor university officials can solve a major problem: Oxford is the worst place to battle depression.

There’s not much to do in Oxford besides drink or read. Alcohol is a depressive, and for depressives solitary activities like reading quickly turn into “Hey, I hate life. Somebody hand me a bottle of Xanex and let me put myself out of my misery.”

…and Prozac Nation GIFs.

These problems would be manageable if the sun actually shined more than once a week and it was socially acceptable to talk about your problems in Oxford. Unfortunately Oxford is in England, and in this town “talking about your feelings” is considered “stupid.” Which is sad, considering talking about your feelings is what most depressives do to stay alive.

Often, Oxford feels like a Smiths song without the sex.

In this environment, it’s going to be hard for a depressive to keep his or her respective shit together. Of course, depressives should still consider Oxford, if they have the opportunity; rejecting Oxford because of mental illness is a stupid (and depressing) idea.

Everyone else has a responsibility to help their peers. Instead of rolling our eyes the next time someone is having a mental breakdown about an exam, we should listen to his or her problems. Everyone needs to remember that for those battling the blues, depression can make a privilege into a curse.