REVIEW: Keble Ball

“If he mad wile out go along good girl wile out” Ms. Dynamite et al., 2010 Because you pay for your ball ticket sometime in Spring, when the night finally […]

“If he mad wile out go along good girl wile out” Ms. Dynamite et al., 2010

Because you pay for your ball ticket sometime in Spring, when the night finally comes around it actually feels free.  Free entry.  Free booze.  Free garage music acts.  The money is long out of your (or Mummy’s) account and once you’ve bought your ten pack of Marlboro Lights you’re off to wallow in the dream of Gatsby’s Oggsford.

The end result is no different from a night in the park drinking warm cans of Super Tenants, except washing vomit off your tracksuit is much easier than off your Grandmother’s ball gown.

The Ball-ingdon Club

The Camera-isation of the Oxford ball means that now it’s fine to unbutton your shirt at 9.30, or to sink Jagerbombs whilst slicking your hair back and pretending to be from the 60s.  In the 60s they didn’t have Jagerbombs.  They had all kinds of other ordnance, but no Jagerbombs.

Despite all of this (or maybe because of), Keble Ball was actually a quality affair.  The drinks were strong and plentiful, the set up was stunning and they had a photographer that made you look attractive when you’re actually really ugly.

They had the compulsory dodgems, a steak bar and even a slightly awkward comedy tent.  But Keble really stole the show with their music line-up. Without a hint of irony they had three enormous acts:  Dj Luck & MC Neat, Ms. Dynamite and a Rihanna tribute act.

Watching public school kids in their parent’s suits pointing at each other singing “Come here rude boy, boy, can you get it up?” and  “If he mad wile out go along good girl wile out” really has the potential to make any night superb.

An inaccurate reflection of Keble ball

People whined about the queues – queue to get in, queues for food, for drink and for Rihanna, but really all was forgotten by the morning.

You’re never going to come away from a ball saying it was shit because you don’t want to think you’ve wasted your money.  Keble didn’t give you the chance to think that, but regardless, can I have my money back please?

Best thing:  Tossing yourself around to club bangers by Rihanna.

Worst thing:  Watching a guy get tossed off behind the main tent.