BoJo admits playing the fool at Oxford

He was just too busy frittering

Boris Johnson has told a US TV station he thinks he should have worked harder when at Oxford.

In an interview due out on Wednesday he tells CNBC that “If I have a regret it’s that I spent so much time fooling around frittering my time at Oxford when I should have focused more on serious stuff.”

The young Boris (Photo: The Telegraph)

His childhood was spent “mucking around” and things apparently didn’t change when he arrived at Oxford in the 1983.

However thanks to that photo he is now far more famous for less reputable achievements.  When quizzed by the station on his membership of the Bullingdon he was at his slippery best.

“I’m grateful to you for inviting me to revive these unhappy and embarrassing memories, but I think the blessed sponge of amnesia has wiped the slate.”

Many would argue that a 2:1 in Classics was pretty good going though.

Johnson also became President of the Union at the second attempt after a vigorous campaign in which he masqueraded as a supporter of the SDP.

He was guarded on his latest political ambitions in the interview having recently admitted to the BBC that he’d be keen to “have a crack” at being PM.

“I think most sensible people who know enough about British politics know that I’m jolly lucky to be mayor, let alone anything else and that’s what I’m going to focus on.”

Fortunately, he’s now entirely serious