Tabs in Tatters as Dark Blues Dominate

Sir Matthew Pinsent: “I thought the better crew won”

The 159th Boat Race kicked off with Oxford heavy favourites and by the time they crossed the line they’d secured a crushing victory over an outgunned Cambridge crew.

Oxford won the toss and chose the Surrey station

Starting on the Surrey side, Cambridge should have had the better of the first bend but Oxford battled hard to build a lead that wavered between a canvas and a quarter of a length.

As the crews moved round the Surrey bend, strongly favouring crews starting in Oxford’s position, the Dark Blues extended their lead to almost a length.

“We were up against a physically strong Oxford boat” – Vanquished Cambridge coach Steve Trapmore at the post-race conference

Speaking after the race, Cambridge coach Steve Trapmore revealed, “We knew we had to stay in touch around the Surrey bend.”

“We couldn’t respond to all the moves going on in that section.”

To their credit, Cambridge almost managed this despite being up against a crew widely recognised as being vastly superior.

Oxford looked good in training and that good form translated into a solid win on race day

The tabs did well to maintain overlap for so long but fifteen minutes into the race, at a point when the shape of the bends should have been favouring the light blues, cox Oskar Zorilla called for a big push and his charges duly delivered.

Oxford gained clear water – allowing them to move fully ahead of Cambridge – and from there victory was all but assured.

Small consolation: Cambridge at least claimed victory in the annual Goat Race

The victorious president Alex Davidson, speaking after the race, revealed that he resisted the temptation to get complacent:

“Oskar was saying things and I was doing things and Oskar said, ‘OK, we’ve got clear water.”

“It wasn’t until we crossed the line that I could relax.”

Victors: A clearly exhausted Alex Davidson speaks to the press as coach Sean Bowden looks on

The BBC’s microphones clearly picked up Zorilla calling, “Don’t fucking sit,” and it was a call that had the desired effect.

After the dark blues gained clear water it was an uneventful run to the line and they ran out victors in the 159th Boat Race by 1 1/3 lengths with Cambridge now leading overall by 81 to 77 (with one dead-heat).

Sean Bowden told The Tab: “I’m delighted to win and I’m delighted for the guys.”