It’s the Queen!

The Queen came to Oxford for the Royal Maundy Day Service today.

Scroll down for a video

It was just another boring day in Oxford, UNTIL THE QUEEN POPPED IN.

The Queen and her hubbie Prince Phillip attended the Royal Maundy Day Service at Christ Church Cathedral earlier today.

Fans gather at St Aldate’s

Dressed to impress in cobalt blue, Her Maj distributed Maundy money to 87 men and 87 women from Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire to mark her 87 years of age.

The recipients are all pensioners within the Oxford diocese who are recommended by clergy and ministers, in recognition of service to the church and Oxford’s community.

Roads were closed off in preparation

Each nominated recipient gets one white and one red purse. The red purse contains a £5 coin and a 50p coin to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s coronation. The white purse contains uniquely minted silver Maundy coins.

King Edward Street and Oriel Square were closed between 10.30am-3.30pm so the royal babe could get through.

The Queen arrived by helicopter, landing on Merton Field before getting into a maroon Rolls Royce and making her way to town.

A royal landing

The Queen visits a cathedral on Maundy Thursday every year, to present the coins in a ceremony that dates back to the 13th century.

The service used to happen in London, but Queen Liz decided to spice things up and play to a different venue each year.

The Queen arrives

The Queen has only skipped four Maundy celebrations since she took to the throne in 1952, but today marked the first time she did it in Oxford.

Fans gather as the headline act arrives

After the service, the Queen and Prince Philip signed the cathedral’s visitors’ book before attending a reception at the Deanery and tucking into lunch at Oriel College.

Dressed to impress