Galloways in on Calypso Nash sacking

Controversial MP tables motion calling for fired St Hilda’s librarian to be given her job back

A college librarian kicked out of her job for letting Harlem Shakers film in the library has found herself supported by firebrand MP George Galloway.

Sacked…Calypso Nash

Calypso Nash, a graduate student and librarian at St Hilda’s was fired after she let 30 students shoot the viral vid, now removed from YouTube.

St Hilda’s JCR members showed their support, passing a motion ‘calling in the strongest terms for Calypso to be rehired’.

Now George Galloway, the controversial Respect MP, has jumped on the noble bandwagon. This morning he tabled a motion in Parliament which accused the college authorities of suffering ‘a severe sense of humour loss’.

Motion…George Galloway

The motion says that ‘St Hilda’s College was named after Hilda of Whitby who was noted for her wisdom and good advice’. It states: ‘College authorities should draw on St Hilda’s wisdom in relation to this incident.

It urges ‘the College authorities to think again and see the funny side of this.’

A spokesperson for Galloway told The Huffington Post: “George is fighting [Nash’s] corner because it’s the right thing to do. The woman has been victimised through no fault of her own.”

A screenshot of the Harlem Shake, since taken offline

Today is not the first time Galloway has caused a stir in Oxford. In February, he famously walked out of a debate at Christ Church because he refused to debate with an Israeli student.