REVIEW: EIGHT, PART II

More pieces of eight..!

Expectation. There was a lot of it about on what was essentially a second opening night for Eight at the Burton Taylor. Given the fact the first set of monologues have received almost universal praise there was a lot riding on Thursday’s performance, and it did not disappoint.

Phoebe Hames as Bobby

From the moment Lloyd Houston’s seventeen year old Jude bounced on stage you were hooked. Immediately.

Houston’s ‘Bangor boy’ radiates youthful energy and enthusiasm in abundance. He is self effacing, quick witted and charming. Yet just as soon as you think you know Jude, you don’t. Jude recounts the most unconventional coming of age story. This is not just a simple tale of first and unrequited love. This is a dark and messy obsession. Houston’s range is outstanding and ultimately we empathize with him as a young man who has been crushed by reality having learnt he has fallen for a fantasy.

Georgina Hellier’s Astrid is not the thrill seeking adulterer she tries to pass herself off as. She is a victim of unfaithfulness herself and her act of vengeance is born out of crippling insecurity.

Georgina Hellier as Astrid

This crisis between oneself and one’s situation is what links the monologues together and gives the play such emotional power.

Jo Allen turns in a genuinely magnetic performance as Danny, perhaps the most emotionally complex of all the characters. I am still attempting to decode Danny some four hours after the performance. This is testimony to both the level of writing and acting which is high to say the least.

A similar sentiment goes for Phoebe Hames’ Bobby, a single mother who wants to give her kids the best Christmas ever. It all sounds a little twee and PC doesn’t it? It is anything but. Hames’ is a stalwart of the Oxford theatre scene and gives her best performance to date as Bobby. Her portrayal is bold, searingly honest and full of conviction. I defy anyone not to be moved it.

Jo Allen as Danny

There is no weak link in this production. Each performance has been beautifully crafted and yet retains a rawness and intensity that does more than simply keep you captivated. It affects you, and that is the best kind of theatre there is.

The team behind the production are to be congratulated on what is an original and rewarding piece of theatre.

Images: Toby Mather