Blues Stuff Staffordshire To Seal Promotion

Victory and promotion make the perfect warm up for the upcoming Varisty match.

The Blues secured promotion back to BUCS Midlands 1A on Friday after an emphatic 4-1 victory over Staffordshire Uni Firsts.

As news filtered through shortly after the game that promotion rivals Loughborough had lost at Lincoln, the Blues were able to celebrate three points that clinched the league with a game to spare, meaning a potentially tricky trip to Loughborough can now be used as vital preparation for the upcoming Varsity Match in a month’s time.

Biggs-deal, midfielder netted against Staffordshire

Promotion is no less than the Blues deserve this year as they remain unbeaten in the league on 21 points from nine games, and it was a workman-like display yesterday that won it for them.

Having weathered an impressive start from the Staffordshire visitors, an Adam Fellows shot was deflected past the keeper to give Oxford the lead midway through the first period, and they never looked back.

With winger Sam Firman drifting inside to great effect, and striker Peder Beck-Friis holding the ball up superbly, midfielders Jack Fletcher and Alex Biggs were increasingly able to influence the game, and started to open up Staffordshire with their runs in behind.

Skipper Donald is in goal-scoring form approaching Varsity

A second goal was not long in coming, as Biggs was first to react to the keeper’s save from a Firman close-range effort, tapping into an empty net to extend the Blues’ lead.

Just before half-time, captain Sam Donald’s tenacious play was rewarded, when he spun on a sixpence and shot a powerful effort past the stranded keeper from just inside the area.

A scoreline of 3-0 at half-time reflected the ruthlessness of this Oxford side – something they have lacked in recent weeks – and in the second-half they began to marry this professionalism with some swift and incisive football.

Beck-Friis was the main beneficiary of this, sweeping home Firman’s centre on 55 minutes for a deserved goal, and Oxford could have had many more as the visitors visibly tired after the hour mark. Despite a rare goalkeeping error gifting Staffordshire a consolation goal, the result was never in doubt.

Sam Donald and his team can be proud of their achievements so far this season.

Now they turn their focus to the upcoming Varsity Match against Cambridge, which will take place at Selhurst Park on 30th March.

You can purchase £8 tickets by emailing [email protected]