Dark Blue Victory Gives Tabs Korf-ul Day

Cambridge vanquished in Korfball Varsity.

Oxford came out on top against the Tabs in Varsity Korfball in a thrilling encounter. Having to travel to the Other Place the Dark Blues recorded an impressive victory over Cambridge  and narrowly missed out on 2nds glory as well.

Chloe McNaught got the away side off to the best start possible netting from long range in an impressive start to the match. This set the tone for an encounter in which the Dark Blue defence  and attack would be dominant throughout, leading the way in possession and chances created.

Whilst Oxford’s play was both scintillating and sensational, there was was also an element of sloppiness. The Dark Blues gifted the Tabs six penalties in the match, four of which the managed to convert.

These lapses in concentration allowed the Tabs to steal into the lead on two occasions, going 3-2 and then 5-4 up.

But the Dark Blues kept plugging away knowing their chance would come.

And after fighting back to 5-5 the away side moved into a deserved lead thanks to Daisy Marino. The lead was soon doubled by a penalty from Sam Sharp, who bagged an impressive hattrick on the day.

Seconds came within seconds of victory.

Then came the moment of the match as Matt Moore single-handedly bagged a running-in shot to power the Dark Blues into an unassailable lead.

The Tabs threatened a comeback with a flurry of late goals, but Oxford had done enough to emerge as 8-7 winners.

This secured the Dark Blues first varsity win since 2007, a feat that skipper Amy Redston will be particularly proud of having achieved it right in the Tabs’ backyard.

In the second team match Oxford were unlucky to come away with a narrow defeat in a tightly contested encounter.

Trailing 3-5 at the break Oxford came out fighting and had soon drawn the scores level thanks to a delightful David Sinclair double.

With the seconds ticking away the Dark Blues looked sure to retain the trophy through a draw, only for Cambridge to nab an agonizing late winner.

All in all Korfball Varsity was a success with both teams impressing and the first team notching a vital Varisty win.