Women’s Footy Blues pay the penalty as Tabs sneak win

Varsity Women’s football went the distance last weekend, the Dark Blues only being bested on penalties as they travelled to Cambridge. In a much improved performance Oxford seemed to prove that their […]

Varsity Women’s football went the distance last weekend, the Dark Blues only being bested on penalties as they travelled to Cambridge.

In a much improved performance Oxford seemed to prove that their 6-0 league defeat to the Tabs had been a blip. The Dark Blues battled hard throughout and could well have won if not for the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.

In a physical affair the Dark Blues had to withstand a great deal of Tab pressure early on, but the away side always looked threatening on the break.

This strategy would pay dividends as Oxford struck viper-like to take the lead, Lucie Bowden shrewdly capitalising on a half chance to fire the Dark Blues into an early lead.

Conceding seemed to spark the Tabs into life as they pushed on and threatened to equalise in the remaining minutes of the first half. Cambridge made a number of chances, but Dark Blue ‘keeper Alison Feder remained steadfastly unbeaten at the break.

The Dark Blues resolve sadly could not hold out for 90 minutes though as the second half saw the Tabs level up the scores, Brown chesting in from a corner.

Having conceded the Dark Blues defence did not capitulate and were successful in frustrating the Cambridge forward line to send the game into extra time with the scores still locked at one apiece.

Extra time followed the pattern set by much of the match with neither side being able to break the deadlock and the Tabs forward finding themselves defeated by Oxford’s staunch defending in open play.

The match would ultimately be settled by penalties, an intense finish to a match that had been a grueling 120 minute slog.

Cambridge would emerge victorious netting four of their spot kicks to Oxford’s two, however Dark Blue Kimberly Kilmartin captain could come away from the match proud that her team had fought bravely and taken match right to the wire.