The Hotlist: 7th week

The Tab’s Culture Eds pick this week’s top 5 unmissable events

Student Bands Gig at the Wheatsheaf

What: One big party featuring Oxford’s funkiest bands, it’s going to be MAD! Check out their sounds here:

Marvellous MedicineDot’s Funk Odyssey & Garfunkel

When: Tuesday 26th February; 8-11pm

Where: The Wheatsheaf, 129 High Street

How much: £4 with a student card

Check out the facebook event here.

The Green Light Fashion Showcase

What: St Peter’s Arts Society are hosting a 1920s fashion show, with live music, a piano bar, raffle and stalls selling chocolate truffles, vintage and hand-made jewellery, and clothes too.

When: Friday 1st March; 9:30pm-1am

Where: The Oxford Hub, 16-17 Turl Street

How much: £7 for the event (9:30pm-1am) including raffle ticket

£2 on-the-door entry for the dancehall (11pm-1am)

Get tickets here. Click here for the facebook event.

New Writing Festival

What: The four best pieces of new student writing are chosen from submitted scripts to be performed and directed by talented students. The plays short listed are: New Beginnings, Bad Faith, Roost, Closing Time. Awards for best writing and best production are then judged by leading theatre professionals. You may find yourself watching a future star!

When: throughout 7th week (and some into 8th week)

Where: Burton Tailor Studio

How much: £6/5

For more information, click here.

Hugh Tomlinson QC Talk

What: Leading barrister Hugh Tomlinson is coming to talk to Oxford PPE Society. He has been at the centre of the debate surrounding the right to privacy and freedom of expression, and also specialises in media law and super-injunctions. He has represented clients as diverse as Prince Charles, Ryan Giggs and Fred Goodwin.

When: Tuesday February 26; 1:30-2:30pm

Where: Manor Road Builiding Lecture Theatre (above the SSL)

How much: Free

Click here for the facebook event.

HEARth Book Club

What: As part of the Audiograft festival of Contemporary Experimental Music and Sound Art this week, Blackwell’s is hosting an informal ‘tea/coffee/books social’, exploring sounds in texts. Bring a book in which you’ve particularly enjoyed sonic descriptions, or just turn up to hear their recommendations and to explore the delight of ‘hearing’ words on the page.

When: Thursday 28th February; 3pm

Where: Cafe Nero, Blackwell’s Bookshop

How much: Free, booking essential.

Call: 01865 333623/ or visit the Customer Service Department, 2nd floor,

Email: [email protected]

To get the latest info on Oxford’s cultural happenings like Oxford Tab Culture on facebook here