Clubber Steve, Prince of Regent’s

The clubbing sensation is back for more

| UPDATED alcohol camera clubber steve clubbersteve formal hall lash regent's park

Following on from the wild success of The Tab’s night out with Oxford’s pint-sized clubbing sensation, Camera connoisseur and man-about-town Steven Mayes returned last Friday to open the launch party of Regent’s Park College’s Trinity Ball.

The Final Fling, as the annual ball is called, is this year themed ‘La Belle Epoque’ and was launched by the local celebrity to the delight of college members.

Henna Shah and Sarah James, the heads of the Final Fling Committee, said ‘it was great to see Trinity’s best night out get the legendary launch it deserves’.

Clubber Steve attended formal hall, (where racily clad Moulin Rouge performers high-kicked off the night in fishnets and corsets opposite High Table) before retiring to the JCR for a taste of Regent’s nightlife.

Steve was quickly initiated into college drinking games. Will Tomsett, a first year Historian who organised his visit, commented: ‘he was a really fun guy. When we pennied him on his Minderaser [Regent’s lethal college cocktail] he saw it down like a pro.’

Unfortunately Steve broke his own golden Rule No 3 (‘don’t get too drunk at pre-drinks’) as he was reported to have passed out in the JCR before 11pm. However, like a true social stoic, Steve plugged on…

Happily chatting to two half-naked 3rd year bar tenders, Steve posed for photos with college BNOCs and star-struck admirers before gathering the troops to hit Camera.

Benedict Newman-Sanders, a 2nd year Historian, commented: ‘despite standing a whole foot below me, I felt dwarfed by Steve’s huge social stature.’

Despite initial disagreements (the Park End vs Lava Ignite debate nearly drawing a rift between the Brookes student and his Oxonian hosts) Steve enjoyed his night at the humanities college.

So much so that he was last seen by one college member ‘wandering down Little Clarendon Street and leapfrogging over the bollards’ before joining the rest of Regent’s at Camera and rigorously adhering to Rule 9: ‘When a song you really love comes on, in Clubber Steve’s case it is Gangnam Style by PSY, dance your heart out for it!!’.

Clubber Steve, we salute you.

Read Clubber Steve’s take on his Oxford experience here.