Student Style: London Fashion Week

The Tab brings the Catwalk to the High Street.

1920s anorexia block colours Bora Aksu Bows fir stoles fuscia high-street Jasper Conran LFW London Fashion Week models neutrals peach runway Sass and Bride

The world of fashion doesn’t stand still. Although here in Oxford we may be just beginning to enjoy the first rays of sunshine, and the thought of A/W 13 may be an unwelcome one, but we believe that it’s never too early to be thinking about what’s hot and what’s not for next winter…

It’s all too easy to get caught up in the glamour, jargon and elegance of London fashion week, but it is sometimes difficult to see what it really means to the average student.

The Fur Trim

It’s out with full fur jackets, we’re afraid.

Fur trimmings will be all the rage, as demonstrated by the 1920s inspired Bora Aksu collection, which was full of tan and leather items twinned with fur pieces. Faux-fur collars and stoles are next winter’s must have items. To be even more on point, try teaming yours with square shouldered jackets and A-Line dresses. Watch out for French Connection’s next collection who are set to lead the way with Art Deco-inspired pieces. For a stole that’s relatively cheap but doesn’t give you a rash, try Topshop or H & M.

The Colour Pop

Although neutrals and black will continue to be a hit next winter, fuchsia, pink and blackberry hues are set to dominate the high street. Peach and petrol blue also featured massively in the PPQ show, whilst reds and oranges dominated at Jasper Conran. But, whichever you chose, remember that block colours are the way forward this year.

Splash out on a fuchsia coat for A/W 13.

As you rush to your tute on a brisk January morning, exceedingly hungover and full of regret, this staple item will appear effortlessly fashionable… even if you are hiding an ill-fitting hoody belonging to whatever-his-name-was. If you are wary of pink hues then yellow can provide a splash of colour to monochrome outfits.

Here at The Tab we recommend a yellow clutch, like the ones modelled at the Sass and Bride show.

Luckily for our student budgets ankle boots will continue to lead the way in foot fashion, so invest in a suede brush or some leather polish and keep yours safe.

Bow-tiful Details

Bows are going to be huge next winter. To avoid looking like Alice in Wonderland, The Tab recommends a pair of leather, or even better velvet, gloves with bow detail on the wrist or patent stilettos with bow detailing.

Extra Pounds

On a more serious note, the week so far has given rise to further concern regarding those wearing the clothes. Year in year out we see ever-skinnier models parading up and down the catwalk, and this year is no exception. Whilst designers insist they have turned their back on skeletal chic, the craze undoubtedly continues.

However, we can take some reassurance in the knowledge that Charlotte Fraser, a top US catwalk model, has been told she must put on a stone (hardly a triumph, but a start, nonetheless) if she wants to work after being deemed ‘too thin’. Perhaps there is some hope for a world of fashion that calls size 12, ‘plus size’.