The Hotlist: 5th Week

The Tab’s Culture Eds pick this week’s top 5 unmissable events

Chinese New Year Celebrations

What: To get the Chinese New Year off to a good start, head down to Cowley for a buffet lunch, traditional Chinese lion dance and more besides.

When: Sunday 17th February; 1-3:45pm

Where: Oxfordshire Chinese Community & Advice Centre, 44B Princes Street, Oxford, OX4 1DD

How much: £9/6 on the door, or £8 in advance (for more information call 01865 204188).

Blues Take Me Out

What: Five of Oxford University Cricket Club’s most eligible bat-chelors are competing to win the heart of a lucky girl to be their Valentine. Go and have a butchers to see how they scrub up. Alternatively, if you are a single lady and actually want to be bowled over by one of these blues, then send your application to this address, [email protected], and you could be in the hot seat!

When: Tuesday 12th February; 8-10pm

Where: Magdalen Auditorium, Longwall Street

How much: £5 (email: [email protected])

Cambridge Spies Talk

What: The organisers of Another Country (showing at the Playhouse this week), have got Professor Christopher Andrew for a talk entitled ‘The Cambridge Spies: what the KGB and British Intelligence Files Reveal’. Professor Andrew is the MI5’s authorised historian and the author of The Sunday Times best-seller The Defence of the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5.

When: Saturday 16th February; 1pm

Where: Ashmolean Museum Headley Lecture Theatre (Level -1).

How much: free, but numbers limited so booking strongly advised. Call the Oxford Playhouse on 01865 305305.

Student Bands Night @ The Wheatsheaf

What: Three big names in the student band scene are coming out to play at the Wheatsheaf this Saturday. We’ve got Gabriel & The Sweet Maries headlining, along with Heman Sheman, check out their sound here, and Zander Sharp’s here.

When: Saturday 16th February; 8-11pm

Where: The Wheatsheaf

Click here for the facebook event.

How much: £5/4

Bravo Figaro!

What: First commissioned by the Royal Opera house, Bravo Figaro is the true tale of the self-employed builder Mark Thomas. It’s about love, opera, degenerative illness, and putting on a show in a bungalow in Bournemouth. Banish the fifth week blues with this uplifting opera.

When: Saturday 16th February; 8pm

Where: The North Wall Arts Centre

How much: £15/£10