Turl Street Arts Festival 2013: The Lowdown

The Tab dissects TSAF’s cultural festivities

Calling all culture vultures: a week of student comedy, drama, and music is about to hit Oxford.

Turl Street Arts Festival, ‘celebrating the rich and diverse creative talents of three Turl Street Colleges’, is well worth a gander. They’re offering everything from jazz nights to welfare teas and workshops – fancy learning the theremin, anyone? (Yeah, we had no idea either.)

If the cultural cornucopia is too much to handle, let The Tab take their pick of the week’s offerings:

Monday: Comedy Evening

Tickets: £4

Where: Habbakuk Room, Jesus 

Beat the fifth week blues as The Oxford Revue, The Awkward Silence, members of the Oxford Imps et al bring you a marathon three hours of non-stop gags guaranteed.

Tuesday: Hall Swap

Tickets: £5

Where: College Halls

Ever fancy eating at Exeter? Lunching at Lincoln? Joining Jesus for drinks, nibbles and an evening of entertainment? Now’s your chance to get behind the scenes and make snobby comments about the quality of next door’s petit-fours.

Wednesday: Live @ Turl Street Kitchen

Tickets: £1

Where: TSK

Student-produced fine art and photography will line the walls of the beloved TSK as a series of acoustic warblers will set the mood – highlights include Ben and Alex with live lounge style covers of hits such as Gangnam Style, Friday and Call me Maybe. Great.

Thursday: An Evening of Poetry

Tickets: free!

Where: The Missing Bean

It’s Valentines Day, and what could be more appropriate than an evening of angst-ridden teenage verse from Oxford’s self-styled ‘leading student poets.’ Pick up a free copy of the Turl Street Arts Festival Poetry Anthology, to which you can email submissions – perfect for openly declaring your love to that special someone.

Saturday: Jazz Parade

Tickets: free!

Where: Turl Street

Shimmy on down to watch a New Orleans Jazz parade through the streets. Follow as a traditional marching band cuts swathes through confused tourists.

Saturday: Prohibition Party

Tickets: TBC

Where: Exeter, afterparty @ Babylove

The closing night that ends the week’s festivities promises to be a big one. Re-live the Prohibition era in Exeter Hall, with a jazz band singing the blues.

Find out more on TSAF’s Facebookwebsite and twitter.