Blues Gunning for Army in Union Clash

Rugby Union Blues set to take on the Army this Wednesday.

Army Blues Rugby

After snow put paid to their game against the RAF, the Rugby Blues belatedly kick off their 2013 campaign against The Army at Aldershot on Wednesday evening.

The University will be keen to put in a good performance and to blow out a few cobwebs in their first run out since victory at Twickenham.  Captain John Carter is still unavailable as he recovers from the knee injury picked up in that game, so Man of the Match Sam Egerton (Keble) takes up the Captain’s armband in his place.

And whilst the squad includes six Blues, this is first and foremost an opportunity for younger players to make their mark.

Oxford’s Try-umphant stand in captain Egerton.

The Army use this fixture as part of the build up for the annual Babcock Trophy match against The Navy at Twickenham.  The Blues take on the Sailors themselves on the 13th February at Iffley.

The last time the Blues played they were shoeing the Tabs, now its the Army’s turn.

The Hilary term is invaluable to Head Coach James Wade as he begins the task of building a squad capable of adding to the three consecutive wins against the Tabs at the end of the year.

He described the the Armed Forces fixtures as a great way to “sort the men from the boys” and shows the coaching team which new bloods are really “willing to put their body on the line for the Dark Blue jersey”.