The Hotlist: 2nd Week

The Tab’s Culture Eds pick this week’s top 5 unmissable events

Pon De Floor: Launch Night

What? Sensible Dancehall is bringing the finest dancehall, soca, reggae, afrobeats, moombahton, hip hop, trap, balkan beats, cumbia and calypso to The Cellar. Check out this set from SD regular Molassie for a taster of their sound.

Where? The Cellar

When? Thurs 24 Jan; 11pm – 3am

How much? Free

Click here for the Facebook event

An Evening with the Gods

What? For one night only, the Ashmolean will be transformed into Mount Olympus. The country’s oldest museum is laying on ‘An Evening With The Gods’, a night of pantomimes, dancing and soundscapes, with a rooftop bar to top it all off. There will also be a rare performance of John Eccles’s 1701 operetta, ‘The Judgement of Paris’.

Where? Mallet Gallery, Ashmolean Museum

When? Friday 25 January; 7-10:30pm

How much? £5/£3 concessions (Entry is free to An Evening With The Gods)

Alistair Darling on ‘Lessons in the Government’

What? Alistair Darling is one of only three people to have served in the Cabinet continuously from Labour’s victory in 1997 until 2010. During that time he held six ministerial posts, so he knows what he’s talking about.

His old pal Lord ‘Mandy’ Mandelson is speaking at Catz next month, catch the first appearance in the New Labour invasion.

Where? Grove Auditorium, Magdalen

When? Tuesday 22 January; 5-6.30pm

How much? Free

James Blackshaw, Huck and My Crooked Teeth

What? The dreamy James Blackshaw plays the acoustic guitar more enchantingly than we’ve ever heard. He’ll be joined by Huck who will give us a taste of his forth-coming queer Americana operetta ‘Alexander The Great’, along with Oxford’s rising star of folk, My Crooked Teeth. Check out the nails on James’s right hand:

Where? Modern Art Oxford, 30 Pembroke Street

When? Saturday 26th January; 7:30-10:30 pm

How much? £8/£6 Booking essential

Click here for the event

‘Audrey’

What? This new fortnightly variety show is hosted by the Revue, but is showcasing performances by anyone who passed the auditions the weekend beforehand. Prepare to see the newbies thrive or die.

Where? Wheatsheaf Pub

When? Tuesday 22nd Jan; 9 pm

How much? £2

Click here for the event

To get the latest info on Oxford’s cultural happenings like Oxford Tab Culture on facebook here