Griffin NFI to Union

Barmy BNP leader invited to speak in gay parenthood debate, then told he is not welcome.

An invitation to BNP leader Nick Griffin to speak at the Union has been withdrawn amid accusations that the Union “will never learn”.

Griffin was asked to speak by a committee member without consulting the President or the committee. The loony politician had been invited to take part in this Friday’s debate on being raised by gay parents.

The invitation has since been rescinded, but anti-fascist group Hope Not Hate said: “Despite their assumed privilege, will the Union never learn?”

Union press officer Alex Reut-Hobbs said: “We have since rescinded the invitation in no uncertain terms, and are taking disciplinary action against the committee member in question.

The Oxford Union does not wish to be associated with the BNP in any way whatsoever.”

Griffin has appeared at the Union once before. His presence prompted angry demonstrations outside the Union building, with around 20 protesters staging a sit-down protest inside the debate chamber.