acceptable in the 80s

The Tab goes back to the future with Burning Down the House

The 80s get a bad press: leg warmers, prawn cocktail, the Cold War. But the worst thing about the era that spawned Nintendo and Nike Air Max was that it ever had to end.

Burning Down the House are offering nostalgic revelers a chance to relive the heady days of lycra and leotards with an 80s throwback night. Park End, you have competition.

The Tab got up close and physical (physical) with the gnarliest kids in town:

Hi guys, tell us a bit about yourselves:

Burning Down the House is a new ‘80s anthems/retro classics/new wave’ club night taking place on alternate Wednesdays at Babylove, run by Olivia Arigho-Stiles, Daniella Shreir, Matthew Robinson, Richard Nias, Francesca Betkowski and William Pimlott.

The 80’s was period of such musical diversity. We’re offering anything from cheesy 80’s disco to banging hip-hop to nostalgic new wave anthems.

The Burning Down the House gang in detention

How did you get started?

We were at Hassan’s coming back from a night at Bridge, wondering if we could stand another night. So many people complain about the Oxford club scene and the lack of choice but with Itchy Feet, Supermarket, Action Stations and the obvious Park End/Bridge/Camera, most periods and genres of music are covered.

The only major music movement Oxford seems to lack is the 80’s. We want to provide fun music that everyone will recognize and want to dance to, drunk or not!

How would you compare yourselves to other existing club nights?

Last year, Broken Hearts Club was the nightlife highlight of our week and so we’re keen to take some aspects of that experience, injecting our own unique twists at the same time. We’re all big fans of Death2Disco at Notting Hill Arts Club in London which plays a similar sound and is always completely jam-packed.

We feel that clubs nowadays are so keen on the ‘ironic’ 90’s revival that people forget about what an amazing decade the 80’s was for music. Our only Wednesday night competition is Park End. The choice is simple.

What can we expect from the night?

We’re offering sweets, we’re taking requests all night, we have a FLATTERING club photographer (he’ll do touch ups, ladies!) and best of all we’re going to publish the previous night’s playlist the morning after so that you’ll be able to remember the name of the song whose two chords you’ve been humming in a hungover haze on the way to Thursday morning lectures…

The gang at an art gallery

What big names will we be hoarsely croaking into a stranger’s ear at 2am on a Wednesday night?

Blondie, The Cure, David Bowie, New Order, Adam and the Ants, The Human League, Talking Heads, The Smiths, Joy Division, Siouxie and the Banshees, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and many more!

Any long-term plans? Radio? World Domination?

Arsonists on the run.

Do you have an 80’s icon?

Harold Bishop.

The song that defines the Burning Down the House experience is…

Val Gals and wannabe Marty McFlys can bust a move at Baby Love from Wednesday of 1st, entrance £3 before 11 and £5 after.

Check them out on facebook here, and listen to their sound here.