Oxford’s loss is Nottingham’s gain

Smug Notts Uni poaches professor

They’ve been around since 1881, paling in comparison with our esteemed history dating back to 1096. Maybe that’s why Nottingham Uni is so pleased to nab one of our professors.

Bye Michael, we’ll miss you

In a stunningly self-satisfied press release they described the move as “a case of Oxford’s loss being Nottingham’s gain”.

Professor Michael Freeden said he was “delighted to have been approached by a first-class university such as Nottingham”, presumably whilst struggling to keep a straight face.

The 26th-placed University, described by the prof as “an exciting working environment”, was happy to wallow in its own smug self-congratulations.

Dr Mathew Humphrey, Head of the School of Politics and International Relations, said the ‘coup’ was “a stand-out appointment, which adds to the growing attractiveness and reputation of the School”.

The Tab hopes the professor enjoys his “three-year part-time Chair in Political Theory ” and the “give and take with students” that he finds “indispensable” continues to be as “invigorating” as he found it at Oxford.

Oxford politics students who feel the need are urged to contact the Oxford University student counselling service.