Oxford Underwater

Tabsclusive: it’s been raining

For those of you still refusing to emerge from your Saturday cocoon, it might be best to not bother.  Up to 30mm of rain is expected to fall in Oxfordshire from 6am today until 6am tomorrow.

The River Cherwell has burst its banks and Magdalen meadows and MCS playing fields are underwater.

Punting only: MCS playing fields

The Environment Agency has 40 alerts for the country and has slapped an amber flood warning on the River Cherwell which “remains high and in the floodplain in the Lower Heyford, Enslow, Thrupp and Oxford areas”.

And while levels are expected to start to drop “there is further heavy rain forecast for Saturday afternoon and Sunday will start dry with showers developing in the afternoon.”

A very full Isis

Rowing is thus far the hardest hit facet of Oxford life.

With the novice-only Christ Church Regatta already cancelled this week, Oxford University Rowing Clubs have now banned students from Boathouse Island. On their website they urge people to not “try and rescue boats while putting your own life in danger!”

In an email  the club president told rowers “DO NOT go down to the boathouse until further notice (it’s dangerous due to all the electrical wires etc.)”

At least the Beeb is getting good at delivering bad news

In the meantime make sure you keep up-to-date with The Tab for all the hardest hitting student news.