Exclusive: varsity trip line-up announced

Breakbeat master A. Skillz and Radio 1 legend Rob Da Bank are set to be the big names of this year’s Varsity trip. The first night, themed fire and ice, […]

Breakbeat master A. Skillz and Radio 1 legend Rob Da Bank are set to be the big names of this year’s Varsity trip.

The first night, themed fire and ice, will feature swing/hip-hop duo The Correspondents and CamFM DJ Tim O’Brien followed by A Skillz dishing out his trademark blend of breakbeat, big beat and dance music.

A Skillz – who manages to find the time to be DJ, producer and label owner – is known for his funky, bass-heavy productions and remixes, the perfect apres-ski antidote to a tough term.

Day two, themed as a ‘twisted circus’, will include a DJ set from indie band White Lies and late-night tunes from Krafty Kuts. He was described as “one of the world’s greatest DJs” by the Varsity organisers.

The night will be topped off by Rob Da Bank, Radio 1 legend and the brains behind the hugely successful music festival Bestival.

The Tab can also reveal that there will be a comedy night hosted by Gap Yah and headlined by Paul Foot who describes himself simply as “One of the world’s comedians”.

And that’s not all for Oxbridge skiers. VarCity, the trip’s purpose built night-time venue, will be opened by beatbox legend Faith SFX.

Student reaction to the line-up hasn’t all been positive. Teddy Hall 3rd year Dan O’Brien told The Tab, “I like White Lies but not sure how a DJ set will work.

“I’m a bit disappointed not to see some bigger acts. The biggest of games usually bring out the biggest of names but I reckon it’ll still be a laugh. Snow, skiing and fingers crossed. Can’t wait.”

Simon Ward-Jones, returning to the slopes for his second Varsity trip, said “I broke my hip once whilst skiing. Breakbeat certainly sounds better than that.”

Despite these less than ringing endorsements those with tickets are probably in for an awesome week. If you’re one of the lucky ones here’s last year’s post-trip video just to whet your appetite.