OUAFC Carry League Form into Cup

Artificial playing surface doesn’t deter football Blues as yet another win sees them advance to the last 16 of the cup

Blues Football

The Blues’ blistering start to the season continued as they dispatched the Derby University 1st team 3-0 in an away cup tie on Wednesday, in a match played on a 3G artificial surface.

Following a bye in the first round, the win sends the side through to the last 16 of the BUCS Midlands Conference Cup, in which they play Derby (Buxton) 3rd team at home on 28th November. The victory is also Oxford’s fourth competitive win in five matches this season, the other match ending in a 2-2 league draw last week.

In a match described as comfortable for the Blues, team captain Sam Donald netted twice after Ezra Rubenstein had opened the scoring.

OUAFC Sabbatical Officer Alex Biggs reported:

“After an early scare straight from kick-off, where Tom Haigh was forced into a fine save low down at his near-post and the ball was cleared off the line, Oxford began to slowly assert their dominance.

“We played no-nonsense football at the back which allowed us to play in Derby’s half and make the most of our superior ability in the air all over the pitch, with long diagonals from Ant Beddows to the right wing proving particularly fruitful.

A 3G artificial surface

“Despite not looking troubled defensively, we failed to create too many clear-cut openings, and had to wait until the 34th minute to break the deadlock, when Ezra Rubenstein latched onto Peder Beck-Friis’ flick-on to coolly slot the ball home.

“After the break Derby played with renewed vigour and we had to withstand some sustained pressure at the start of the half, coming through unscathed. We always looked dangerous on the attack, and had it not been for several clearly wrong decisions by the home linesman, the game would have been beyond doubt long before Rubenstein slotted home into an empty net after Sam Donald had squared the ball to him just before the hour.

“From then on we controlled the game, with Derby becoming increasingly ragged and frustrated, resorting to blatant fouls and late tackles. Donald secured victory with a cool first-time finish after Sam Firman’s neat slide-rule pass split the defence to put the cherry on top of an efficient team performance.”

Elsewhere, the Centaurs also advanced to the last 16 with a home victory against Loughborough 4th team.

With the side trailing and only five minutes to play, Nick Carlon drew the Centaurs level, before Chris Wright had a potential winning-goal disallowed to leave the score at 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes. Extra-time ensued and Carlon scored again in the dying moments to send the Oxford side through.

The Centaurs’ last 16 match is away against Anglia Ruskin (Cambridge) 1st team on November 28th.

Finally, the Development squad won 3-1 away at Hampton School today, with Edward Mole, Rowland Carter and Will Boyer scoring the goals.