Review: Life Sentence

Enjoy one hour of light-hearted, simple fun with Life Sentence, a new play written by Jamie Carragher (no, “not that one”).

With cheerful music and a simple set, the atmosphere didn’t seem to correspond with the ominous title of ‘Life Sentence’, or their dour poster design. Indeed, you were put at ease from the doctor’s first lines, and able to sit back and enjoy one hour of light-hearted fun.

The intimacy of the Burton Taylor Studio was perfect for this eight-man one-act production. At the play’s centre you have Theo (Nick Lyons), a pessimistic hypochondriac who receives some pretty life-shattering news – yes, most unfortunately, he is immortal. He seeks consolation for this devastating news from his two friends Michelle (Charlie Daniels) and Stan (Will Hislop) who rack their brains for inventive ways to resolve his problem and perk his spirits. When their house party doesn’t quite meet the mark, they suggest a fake funeral (certainly the most logical solution for someone who is immortal, no?), but this just turns into one failure after another.

The play’s weakness lay in the fact that there were too many scenes, especially for such a short play: over the course of an hour you are quickly rushed through five scene changes. However, in spite of this, the plot progressed without complication, and the performance was well-executed.

Whilst the writing didn’t elicit uncontrollable peals of laughter, it did invite a quiet chuckle – lines are on the whole well delivered and the palette of contrasting characters certainly kept the audience amused. Although Lyons and Daniels appear on stage most frequently, their performances were slightly stilted and their dubious relationship does not leave a lasting impression. It is Stan’s attempts to diffuse the situation (namely a rather entertaining impression of one of Forrest Gump’s pearls of wisdom), ‘Trevora’ (Jack Light) the camp, sweaty-armpitted party guest and the blinkered doctor (Charlie Dennis) that maintain the play’s levity and energy.

Although the play touches upon the more serious motifs of religion and death, it is certainly not one to see if you are looking for something thought-provoking and dramatic. However, for all those who look towards figures such as the trusty Gandalf for life advice, this will take your fancy.

Life Sentence is showing at the Burton Taylor Studio until Friday.