Sports Roundup: Third Week

Find out how your college football and rugby teams got on, and which university football team lost 21-1

Blues Football Rugby

Football

The Blues came out on top in an incredible match away against Lincoln University. Casey O’Brien, captain Sam Donald, Julian Austin, Ed Grimer and Ben May all scored in a 5-4 win for Oxford, described as “FIFA-esque” by Alex Biggs, and sit top of their league. They play a combined London Universities XI at 7pm on Friday of 4th week at Iffley Road.

The Centaurs beat Aston University 1st team  3-1 in the BUCS knockout cup thanks to two goals from Nicholas Carlon and one from Matt Smith.

The University women’s teams suffered a bad week as the women’s blues lost 6-1 to Nottingham Trent University and the Furies were on the wrong end of a 21-1 thrashing at the hands of Wolverhampton University 1st team.

Exeter maintained their 100% record and remained top of the JCR Premier Division with a 3-0 win over St. Catherine’s. Magdalen stay bottom without a single point after losing 4-0 to St. Hugh’s and Lincoln were 1-0 winners over Wadham.

The first round of cuppers saw an incredible 57 goals in 11 games, with four sides scoring six goals or more. Queen’s beat Merton/Mansfield 7-2 in an all First Division clash, Christ Church ran out 7-1 winners over Univ and Exeter beat St. Peter’s by the same score line, whilst Lincoln triumphed 6-1 against St. Anne’s, with Charles Cooper scoring four goals. St. Edmund Hall put four unanswered goals past Magdalen, Hertford beat Oriel 1-0, St. Hugh’s beat Pembroke on penalties in a match which finished 3-3 after extra time, Trinity won 4-2 against Balliol, Jesus were 2-1 winners over LMH, New beat St. Catherine’s 2-0 and Brasenose went down 3-0 to Keble.

Football Cuppers Trophy

In the Second Division, St. John’s beat Somerville 4-1, LMH went down 2-1 to Keble and Pembroke and Trinity drew 1-1.

In the reserve leagues, St. Anne’s third team, Hertford seconds, Corpus/Linacre seconds (twice), St. Hilda’s seconds, Pembroke seconds and Regent’s Park all scored eight or more goals on the way to victories.

Brasenose, Lincoln, New/St. Hugh’s and Univ all advanced to the second round of MCR Cuppers, alongside Wolfson, who beat Worcester 9-0, and Exeter, who won 12-2 against Kellogg.

Rugby

The Blues lost 26-0 on Monday to a Northampton Saints side containing several Premiership players.

In the JCR First Division, St. Edmund Hall beat Oriel 22-12, whilst Christ Church won a close encounter against Merton/Mansfield 21-19 and St. Catherine’s forfeited to Keble, who top the table.

The Second Division saw New score 58 unanswered points against St. Peter’s, Worcester beat Exeter 38-7 and Magdalen win 12-10 against Pembroke.

In the Third Division, Brasenose and Univ forfeited matches against LMH and Corpus/Somerville respectively, and Lincoln won 32-14 against St. Anne’s/St. John’s.

St. Hugh’s and Keble second team both forfeited (to Jesus and Balliol respectively) in the Fourth Division whilst St. Hilda’s beat Trinity 54-13.

There were 204 points in two Fifth Division matches as Queen’s beat Hertford 85-5 and St. Edmund Hall second team won 68-46 against Wadham.