Review: Orphans

Superb acting, meticulous staging and a gripping plot

With superb acting, meticulous staging and a gripping plot, there is little at fault in this rendition of Dennis Kelly’s Orphans.

The seemingly perfect world of Helen (Alice Porter) and Danny (Liam Steward-George) is suddenly shattered as Liam (David Shields) bursts onto the scene, breathless and covered in blood. The play unravels the mystery behind Liam’s story over the course of an evening, and in doing so exposes the truth behind each character’s personality, their past and their relationships with one another. The overriding themes are of urban violence, racism and loyalty.

In this play, you are instantly struck by the attention to detail in the staging. From the fully-functional kitchen backstage to the three pairs of shoes placed neatly at the entrance and the family photographs on the bookshelf, there is nothing left wanting in this precise representation of a family home. Slick lighting and good use of sound gives the production a finesse which elevates it above other student productions.

Shields steals the show from the moment he storms on stage. His stuttering and incessant twitches immediately put the audience on edge. Whilst his fierce outbreaks leave you trembling his simple-mindedness incites uneasy laughter.

However, Shields’s outstanding execution of the role should by no means undermine Porter and Steward-George who come into their own in the second half as their true characters emerge. The interaction and altering dynamics between these three succeeds in creating an oppressive atmosphere which leaves an enduring impression on the audience.

Although at times the play loses pace, this is by no means the fault of the actors whose timing is consistently impeccable. The combination of nervous body language, powerful silences, violent outbursts and disorderly dialogue creates and upholds an acute level of tension which reigns from beginning to end.

Brutally bleak, the play offers no redemption to the audience; however this should not deter you from experiencing firsthand the emotional turmoil of this virtually flawless production.