Sports Roundup: 2nd Week

Many college games go ahead despite a wet week

Blues Football Rugby

Football

An Alex Biggs goal and a last minute own goal helped the Blues to a 2-1 win against local rivals Oxford Brookes in a derby match which Ben May called “more important than the 22 players on the pitch”.

Meanwhile the Centaurs won 1-0 against University College Birmingham‘s 1st team, and the Development Squad drew 1-1 with Eton College, whilst the Women’s Blues lost 2-1 to Coventry University and the Furies went down 6-1 to Warwick University.

In the JCR Premier Division, Exeter stayed top after a 3-0 win over Lincoln, Wadham beat St. Hugh’s 1-0 and Worcester emerged 2-0 winners against Magdalen.

Torrential rain on Wednesday night meant that the Division 1 match between Brasenose and St. Anne’s was called off. Two games went ahead though: New beat St. Edmund Hall 6-1 and Balliol won 4-3 against Queen’s.

Brasenose grounds on Thursday

In Division 2, Christ Church emerged 5-4 winners over Pembroke, whilst LMH beat St. John’s 3-1 and Trinity won 1-0 against Somerville.

Division 3 saw a 7-1 win for Jesus against Corpus/Linacre, Hertford beating Oriel 3-2 and a 3-3 draw between St. Hilda’s and Univ.

Elsewhere St. Catherine’s and Merton/Mansfield shared a goal-fest in the Reserves 1st Division which ended 9-2 to St. Catz, Worcester, the Foxes and St. Catherine’s all got off to winning starts in the Women’s 1st Division and St. Antony’s top the MCR 1st Division.

Rugby

The Blues lost 21-5 to Richmond RFC, No 8 Michael Rickner scoring their only try.

In the 1st Division, Christ Church forfeited to St. Edmund Hall, Merton/Mansfield did likewise to Keble and Oriel beat St. Catherine’s 44-5.

The scores in Division 2 were Pembroke 50-5 St Peters, Exeter 22-33 New and Magdalen 26-28 Worcester.

Division 3 saw Lincoln win 31-0 against Univ and LMH beat Somerville 20-7.

St. Hilda’s won 48-0 against Jesus and Trinity conceded to Keble 2nd team in Division 4.

Finally, Division 5 saw Wadham concede to Queen’s and a 33-22 win for Hertford over St. Edmund Hall Hilarians.

Look out for all the college league tables and a new sports blog coming next week.