Take Note

The Tab takes a closer look at an exciting new Oxbridge project

| UPDATED Journal Literary Notes

Notes is a brand new creative journal available in all good JCRs now. It’s a joint, fortnightly Oxbridge venture that was started in Cambridge over the summer and has since spread to Oxford.

Apart from bridging the ancient divide between the two universities, the journal aims to bring together all sorts creative work: poetry, short stories, art, philosophy, mini essays and the general ponderings of Oxford and Cambridge’s finest.

Highlights from the Oxford launch edition include a revolutionary analysis of the Batman trilogy, a poem entitled ‘Preface to a Journal’ (bizarrely placed on page fifteen) and an excellent short story about the death of a father.

It is a credible mix of creative thought in different disciplines, and also a good opportunity for people who haven’t had their work published before to see their name in print. More seasoned writers will also find it a solid platform for their work, not least because it’s published fortnightly.

Notes describes itself as ‘completely interdisciplinary’ accepting anything that inspires original thinking. At first glance this does seem somewhat optimistic; the Oxford launch edition has very little in the way of science. That said, when asked whether a beautiful mathematical equation could be included, the editors replied that yes, it could, so long as its beauty was explained.

The journal is still very much in its infancy. The three Catz third years who run the Oxford side are in need of marketing, publishing and distribution teams; at the minute it’s being run from a single staircase. It goes without saying that they’re also on the lookout for any budding talent to contribute to its interdisciplinary pages.

Sample copies are available now for free in every college JCR. The journal is also available online to download and is Kindle and smart-phone compatible. A subscription for the term can be bought for £2.95, but if you think that’s a little steep, everyone who contributes receives a free copy. As if you didn’t need any more encouragement to get creative, that saving should do the trick.

http://notespublication.com/

On facebook: http://www.facebook.com/notespublication