Sports roundup

All you need to know about Oxford sport in 1st Week.

Blues Football oxford Rugby

Football

Julian Austin scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot as the Blues secured a 1-0 win over Hartpury Academy on Wednesday. OUAFC sabbatical officer Alex Biggs said: “The display married resilient defensive play with counter-attacking flair and bodes well for the season to come”.

Blues hold out against Hartpury

The Centaurs won 1-0 against the development squad.

Exeter went to the top of the JCR Premier Division after beating St. Hugh’s 5-1. They’re ahead, by virtue of goal difference, of St. Catherine’s, who won 2-0 against Lincoln. The week’s other fixture was a 0-0 draw between Worcester and Wadham.

St. Edmund Hall and Queen’s are the early pace-setters in the First Division. Teddy Hall beat Merton/Mansfield 3-1 and Queen’s won 5-4 against New in a goal-filled encounter. Brasenose and Balliol picked up a point apiece after a 2-2 draw.

The Second Division provided plenty of goals as St. John’s beat Keble 5-3, Christ Church picked up a 4-2 victory over Somerville and Trinity won 2-0 against LMH.

Elsewhere St. Catherine’s 2nd Team won 5-3 against Regent’s Park in the Reserves First Division and, in the Reserves Second Division, Christ Church 2nd Team put 8 goals past Harris Manchester, with the match finishing 8-2.

Rugby

The Blues lost 17-8 to Leicester Tigers in a friendly at Iffley Road, with Sam Egerton scoring Oxford’s only try.

The inter-college Division 1 got up and running with St. Catherine’s beating Merton/Mansfield 46-10, Oriel triumphing by an emphatic 36-0 scoreline over Christ Church and Keble winning 31-7 against St Edmund Hall.

In Division 2, Exeter narrowly beat Pembroke 19-15 and New ran out 19-14 winners against Worcester.

Division 3 saw Lincoln win 28-24 against CCC/Somerville and LMH dispatch St. Anne’s & St. John’s 19-12.

Finally, plenty of points were scored in division 5 as Wadham beat Hertford 53-27 and Queen’s won 44-0 against the Teddy Hall Hilarians.