Now they ban drinking games

Christ Church students could be SENT DOWN for playing Ring of Fire

Christ Church students could be sent down for playing drinking games under new college rules.

In an email to undergrads on Monday, junior censor David Nowell attacked games whose “sole purpose appears to have been to get people drunk and/or to embarrass them”.

Crackdown…Junior censor David Nowell

He said: “Such games are potentially dangerous, exert social pressure on people to consume excessively, and should have no place in a community such as Christ Church.

“The organising of or taking part in drinking games involving alcohol will be regarded as a serious disciplinary offence.”

According to Christ Church’s Blue Book, serious disciplinary offences can result in “the levying of a fine in excess of £500, rustication (temporary suspension) or sending down (permanent expulsion)”.

It seems games involving non-alcoholic drinks remain above the law – good news for the Squash Club.

Discipline…Christ Church’s Blue Book

The college has a long history of drunkenness. Lord Edward Stanley, a future Prime Minister and the 15th Earl of Derby, pulled the treasured Mercury statue off its plinth in a far from sober state as an undergraduate in the 1810s.

Whether he had been playing Ring of Fire remains unclear.