A guide to the best roast spots in Nottingham this winter

Feast your eyes on this

It doesn’t get any more quintessentially British than the roast dinner. Succulent meat, fluffy potatoes, crispy Yorkshires, veg that melts in your mouth and topped with lashings of gravy of course. A roast serves as a reminder of family and celebration, which can be missed when living away from home. It’s the sort of comfort food that hits different as the days get colder and the nights get longer. So, to get yourself in the festive spirit before the Christmas hols, here are five of the best roast spots in Notts to line your stomachs with this winter.

Fothergills

This is a venue that is perhaps suited to more sophisticated company. Think maybe a date, or your parents (as long as they’re paying of course). Fothergills has a slightly higher price point ranging between £15-£21 depending on your choice of meat, but with an increased price comes increased quality. The aesthetic fairy lights and scenic location next to Nottingham castle also give it extra brownie points.

Toby Carvery

Forever the cheap but cheerful option, Toby Carvery will always have a place in our hearts as a go to spot for a decent roast that gets the job done. Although the promotion of mac n’ cheese as a side for a roast on their TikTok is quite frankly blasphemous. Besides this, they offer two carveries for £12 on a Wednesday for all students signed up to Unidays, so we’ll give them the benefit of the doubt this time.

Pieminister

This is more of an unconventional choice, but the beauty of Pieminister is that their menu offers all the components of a Sunday roast but just presented a little differently. Their ‘Sunday Best’ pie comes with all the trimmings but is reserved strictly for Sundays only. Although with students receiving a 25 per cent discount Monday to Thursday it’s worth considering breaking the Sunday tradition.

Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

As England’s oldest surviving inn, Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem boasts a side order of history alongside its tasty Sunday roast. The pubs name stems from the story of King Richard the Lionheart and his men congregating here before embarking on the Crusades in Jerusalem. Their food is reasonably priced and comes with the bragging right that you have dined amongst ghosts in England’s oldest inn. What more could you want?

The Cross Keys

The Cross Keys serve a traditional roast dinner and state on their website that big yorkies are standard so we’re glad to see they have their priorities sorted. They also offer viewing of a variation of sports fixtures. So you can watch the game and stuff your face at the same time – sounds like a win to us.

Even though it’s nice to treat yourself to a pub roast, often nothing beats a good homecooked meal. So, if you’re a glutton for punishment feel free to try making your own. Although we can’t guarantee you won’t have a break down trying. Happy roasting!

Related articles recommended by the author:

Nottingham Students’ Union believes in ‘freedom of choice’ and is showing the World Cup

University of Nottingham lost to Bangor Uni on this week’s episode of University Challenge

All you need to know about Notts’ Winter Wonderland 2022