All the things to do in Nottingham’s reading week apart from read

How do you unsubscribe from university emails?

So, the time has come, reading week is upon us. During your time at university, you will build a love-hate relationship with reading week. Those who aren’t fortunate to do a degree that offers a reading week watch in dismay as their mates spend the week off.

The whole point is to catch up and do excessive amounts of reading that you have been putting off for weeks, and make a start on your dreaded pieces of coursework. Now you’re not at school you no longer have a half term break, so its easy to not turn reading week into one. The University of Nottingham defines reading week as “a pause from the teaching schedule, which gives taught students the opportunity to take a break, get up to date with reading and prepare for assessments”, but the only phrase that is heard in that sentence is “take a break”.

Reading week inevitably turns into a week to catch up on Netflix rather than lectures, we all need a break. Instead of just staying in your questionable student house, here is a comprehensive list of everything that you can do in reading week apart from reading, that is.

Visit Colwick Park

Don’t worry, this isn’t going to include the dreaded walk from Derby Road to UoN campus. These are some of the more picturesque walks in Notts that you can actually enjoy, with some perfect BeReal locations. Bring an umbrella, put on a coat and grab your coffee because unfortunately there is a high chance of rain.

Full of cycle routes, parking and obviously the lake, Colwick Country Park has got you covered for going on a peaceful walk. Most people tend to go there in the summer when you can swim in the lake, however, at this time of year it is suggested that you leave your bikinis and trunks at home and bring out the puffer coat. Whats a UoN student without a North Face puffer?It is a bit tricky to get to, with no buses going directly there from Lenton or Beeston, but its worth it.

Go to Attenborough Nature Reserve

The Attenborough Nature reserve is by no means associated with the legend that is David Attenborough. Regardless of this initial disappointment, how scenic is this? It is the cutest place to get some cute insta pics and to sit on a bench looking out at the water like you’re in some sort of movie. Start romanticising your life now, you deserve it.

Take a stroll in Wollaton Park

If you don’t know, get to know. As you enter the gates and transcend into the magical woods, you will see deer, deer and more deer. Yes, that’s right, these beautiful animals walk freely around you, minding their own business. Aside from the stags, Wollaton Park is great for grabbing a coffee and chatting absolute shite with your mates. In the evening, when the lights are on, it’s super pretty, a great location to procrastinate in.

Go home for a week

Sometimes you just want some homemade cooking and the heating on. One can only have oven chicken and Uncle Ben’s rice so many times. Jokes aside, after a couple of months of uni, some TLC from your family is just what you need. Get your mum to spend some time with you and hang out with your pets who are confused as to where you’ve been for the last eight weeks. Not to mention, you can eat my mum’s homemade lasagne instead of a pot noodle or some frozen chicken nuggets. The more outrageous students might even eat a vegetable and a work towards functioning immune system.

Your furry friend misses you

Go on a date with yourself

Going on a date with yourself is the ultimate self-care. It’s not as complicated as it sounds, just get out of the house and do something that you may not normally do. Go get some expensive sushi, you deserve it girl.

Catch up on some well-deserved sleep

Lastly, go get some well-deserved rest. Catch up on all that sleep you missed during the term, you’re gonna need it. Exam season is fast approaching, and you need to smash your exams.

Your mate from another uni is visiting for the weekend, here’s what to do with them

Four things I learnt at Notts Freshers’ Fair

• Spooktacular halloween events happening in Nottingham this October