Here’s eight reasons why you should choose to study abroad as a Notts student

You don’t actually spend that much time studying on a study abroad x

Whilst studying at university there are so many opportunities that you should make the most of, one of which being a year abroad. If you study a language then this is something that you’ve committed to from the start but although competitive they are offered within many degree programmes.

Why wouldn’t you consider it when taking a year out to experience new cultures and places is so enriching and can add to the unforgettable uni experience?

From having the opportunity to travel and discover new places and cultures to being able to meet new people, these are all the reasons why you should consider studying abroad.

The opportunity to experience a new culture

Living in a new and different country can be so exciting where there are so many great opportunities to experience the local culture. When you first move, you might find it overwhelming but you quickly come to love everything on offer, from theatre performances, local museums, to even enjoying the local delicacies.

There aren’t many opportunities to do this during uni, studying abroad is the perfect chance to, why wouldn’t you want to?

There is so much amazing food to try

One of the best things about living abroad is getting to experience some of the best food you’ve had in a while. From amazing restaurants to fresh produce at local food markets, there is so much good stuff to enjoy while you study abroad.

Forget Tescoes and Asda and enjoy some lovely food markets on a Sunday morning with fresh produce and amazing pastries that will have you getting up at the crack of dawn to get the best picks.

Let’s be honest, you won’t even be that mad that most of your student finance will go on food.

Improve your language proficiency

Studying in a country in which English is not the spoken language will help to improve your own language skills enormously. Learning a new language is invaluable in this day and age so if you ever have the chance you shouldn’t  hesitate for a second.

Even if you are following a course in English, there are more often that not language classes you can take on the side of your studies. You will also absorb the language which is being spoken all around you, with endless opportunities to speak to natives. Trust me it’s definitely better than hedging your bets on duo lingo.

You can travel with your friends

Just because it’s a study abroad placement, doesn’t mean that you can’t have fun. Between having a much less heavy workload and weekends there is a whole load of time to get out and explore new places.

Whilst the UK is renowned for expensive public transport and few exciting places to be able to visit but this isn’t true of every country. You don’t have to break the bank to be able to explore new and exciting places on a study placement, and its the best way of being able to see a new part of the world with your friends.

You will become more independent

If you thought that going to uni made you more independent, then think again. Organising and planning your overseas study placement will  your organisational skills to the limit.To make it worse, being abroad in an unfamiliar country will force you to confront the harder aspects of adult life. Getting through the hard times throughout your study placement will make you feel more accomplished and independent.

Coming back to Nottingham for your final year will seem like a breeze after everything you’ve been through.

It gives you a year to explore yourself

Uni can be so overwhelming, with career fairs thrown at you from the second you start. If you’re like me and had no clue of what you wanted when you came to uni, then a year abroad can be the perfect time to find yourself. Usually overseas study placements don’t contribute to your overall degree classification, which means you can spend the time doing what you want to do and less time stressing about your final grades.

As cliché as it sounds taking a year out to explore the world and yourself can be just what you needed to find what you are really interested in. Even if you’ve always had a clear life plan, what’s the harm in having a year out to make the most out of life?

You start to appreciate the little things in life much more

Being abroad without the luxuries of home will make you appreciate the little things even more. Unlike moving into Nottingham, where you can fill your parent’s car to the brim you usually only have one or two suitcases max. When it comes to packing you need to forego all the luxuries that you’ve become accustomed to having at uni.

You’ll come to find yourself being grateful for the little things, from a walk on a sunny day or packages sent by home full of sweat treats.

There are many opportunities to meet new people

Whilst studying at another partner university, there will be so many chances to meet new people and make new friends. From other international students to home students in the new university there are so many amazing people to spend time with during your study placements. When everyone is so far away from their home you start to bond with the people you meet unlike any other way you have before.

You’ll have plenty of time to spend time with your friends, getting coffees, or even a glass of wine, between classes and study seshes in the library. Even after you come back to Nottingham, you’ll be able to keep in contact with for years to come.

• The Notts Best Dressed List: Freshers Edition

• ‘I got locked in a pub’: We asked Notts students their online dating horror stories

• Eight ways to channel your inner child as a Notts student