University of Nottingham reopening its homeless shelter this winter

The scheme helped 72 people last winter

The University of Nottingham is reopening its homeless shelter that offers short-term emergency accommodation for up to 27 people per night. It will open from Monday 17th October 2022 until April 2023.

The University are re-partnering with homelessness charity Emmanuel House Support Centre, making good use of an otherwise empty property, to help support people into finding more permanent accommodation solutions.

They will be housed in an unused university building. This scheme has been going on since 2006, to ensure that less people will be sleeping rough this winter.

The partnership also provides 24-hour support, including help searching for jobs, aiming to ensure less people are sleeping on the streets of Nottingham.

Head of Campus Services, Ashley Roberts, is leading the project and said: “it was great to see the university community coming together to support the charity, with lots of donations and volunteers offering their time to help in the shelter”.

Last year’s Winter Shelter, open between November 2021 and March 2022 provided 2067 nights’ protection for 72 people, 37 of whom were supported into longer-term accommodation.

CEO at Emmanuel House, Denis Tully hopes that this years Winter Shelter will too “provide what we anticipate as much-needed respite accommodation for people who would otherwise rough sleep during the coldest and wettest months of the year”.

Emmanuel House is currently looking for volunteers, particularly students, for the Winter Shelter. Information can be found on the Emmanuel House website. 

• A homeless shelter is set to open in an unused University of Nottingham building

Crisis employee claims she was removed from work chat after criticising serial-killer event