Police investigating after a body was found in Nottingham city centre canal

The man was pronounced dead on Saturday morning

Nottinghamshire police are investigating after a body was pulled out of the canal in Nottingham city centre.

The body was spotted by a member of the public, who alerted the police. They arrived quickly at the scene, however the man was pronounced dead at 8am on Saturday morning.

The identity of the body has not been revealed to the public but the man is described as “The man is described as white, in his 60s, with a bushy grey beard and was wearing all black clothing”.

The death is being treated as unexplained, and Nottinghamshire police are appealing to the public for witnesses.

Nottinghamshire Police’s Detective Inspector Kayne Rukas said: “Our investigation is continuing but we are appealing for anyone who was on the canal tow path who may have seen the man between Friday night (14 October) and Saturday morning (15 October) to please get in touch.

“While we are not suggesting at this stage that the man’s death was suspicious, we do need to do everything we can to find out what may have led to his death.

“Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with the man’s family and friends at this difficult time and our officers will continue to support them.

“I would ask anyone with any information, who may have seen something or has any CCTV footage in the area to get in touch with us as any information, no matter how small, could greatly help us with our inquiries.”

University of Nottingham drops further down on the University League Table

All the ways Nottingham Trent University is celebrating Black History Month

All the ways that University of Nottingham are celebrating Black History Month