All the best ways for Notts students to get rid of Freshers’ Flu

You and your besties will be in it together

Freshers’ is officially over and you’ve had the hangovers to prove it. We’ve all been there as you attempt to battle through the first couple of uni whilst trying to beat the dreaded Fresher’s Flu. Although named after the infamous first week of uni, it lingers throughout the whole year, and no one seems to know how to exactly get rid of it.

Whether currently bed-bound or attempting to power through lectures, you’ll always need to have these tips and tricks on hand to recover from what feels like the worst kind of illness. Here are all the best ways to recover from the insufferable illness:

Berocca is your best friend 

To start, a good immune system is key and everyone knows that vitamin C is not only good for avoiding scurvy but is also the key to a strong immune system. Well, Berocca is the best way to get your vitamin C up and stay hydrated.

Plus it comes in not only orange flavour but lemon as well, what more could you want?

Lemons lemons lemons

When life gives you Freshers’ Flu, grab a couple of lemons. They are the sickly student’s best friend – shove them in your tea, your water, or even simply have them straight. You cannot deny the rejuvenating powers of a lovely lemon and ginger tea. If you don’t feel the burn, you can always slap in another lemon for added nutrients. 

Iced matcha tea with a zesty tang to top it off? Yes please.

Soups are the food of gods 

Soup is a great way to get all your vitamins and stay warm when suffering from the dreaded flu. There are endless variations, that you can make, noodle soup in particular is great as it also hydrates you – frankly it is way more fun to eat than regular soup. 

Whether you buy it in a pot or  have a go at making it from things lying about your house it’s the perfect flu fighting meal.

Lap up your lozenges 

Sweet like candy, but vitamin-boosting too – these should be within arm’s reach 24/7. Simply put, they’re the best thing about catching Freshers’ Flu, often joking about being ever eternally ill, merely to have reason to let the taste of blackcurrant linger. 

Just make sure to stock up at the start of term and keep your stash a secret so they don’t go missing.

The best sweets are prescribed ones

A good nights sleep is invaluable

As a student, a good night’s sleep is probably a distant memory, now replaced with last minute reading and club nights. Saying no to a night out might feel impossible but having one night off will not ruin your social life but it might be the thing to get you back on track and feeling better. 

It is as simple as just getting a good eight hour sleep. Give your body the time it needs to get strength back so that it can fight back at Freshers’ Flu. 

Hydration is key

This should really be maintained in your day-to-day, but we all know everyone favours an ice latte or two and always forgets to have a glass of water until 9pm at night. After having been struck down by the horrid Freshers’ Flu it is even more essential that you keep downing glasses of water like there’s no tomorrow. 

Even when you think you’ve drank a sensible amount, down a couple more. That cough will never fade if your mouth is drier than the Sahara.

Don’t you worry, it’s only water!

Spice up your life 

Even if you can’t handle the lemon and herb at Nando’s, adding a bit of a kick to your meals will help unblock those nostrils and get you back on your feet in no time. 

A curry can help to add that much needed spice into your system. It’s also another easy meal to be able to whip up with any leftovers you and your housemates might have lying about in the house.

In any case it is available from almost any takeaway. 

The Vicks Method 

I’m sure many of you despise the greasy menthol feel of vicks, well fret not, this method contains no vicks-to-skin contact. All you need is a bowl, a kettle, a tea towel, water, and your trusty Vicks Vapour Rub. 

Step one. Boil kettle 

Step two. Put vicks into a bowl 

Step three. Pour boiling water into the bowl. 

Step four. Place your face over the bowl, inhale all of the steam and it should decongest your sinuses. Put the tea towel over your head to stop any steam from escaping if you need a more intense treatment. 

You may look crazy but hopefully it will be worth it. 

Self-care is essential

It is more than likely that, even if you weren’t patient zero, the rest of your housemates probably has Freshers’ Flu too. There’s no need to suffer alone when you’re all going through it.

Take a break from clubs together and get everyone together for a night in. Make sure you have plenty of snacks, hot chocolates, films and blankets. Don’t forget about the Strepsils.

Fresh air

A bit of nature never harmed anyone either. In spite of the majority of these tips suggesting that the inside life is the key to eternally good health,  it can also be good to soak up some of the crisp October air.

There are so many amazing places to have a walk, from the lake on campus to Wollaton Park, there is no excuse not to get outside and moving for a least a bit of the day. Just make sure to wrap up warm so you don’t make yourself feel worse.

Exercise can help

If you’re one of the more hardcore readers, this solution may appeal to you. Whilst many of these methods involve staying cosy and relaxing, another way to rid you of the flu is through sweating, a lot.

Exercise can really help you get back to being fit and healthy, however, this tends to only work if you exercise regularly. If you’re a couch potato like me, stay that way. But if you’re a classic gym rat then maybe a little sweat will get you back to normal.

Always seek professional medical advice from your GP 

• These are six of Nottingham’s most shocking student house stories

• The Notts Best Dressed List: Freshers Edition

• Attention music lovers: Here is a guide to all the upcoming gigs in Notts