10 of the most hideous Notts student gardens

Why do you need an outside loo?

When looking for a student home, the state of the garden, or if there’s one at all, is rarely something on any of our minds. As students we’re preoccupied by more important matters, such as how many people we have to share a bathroom with and if the dining table is suitable for beer pong. However, some student homes have some appalling gardens and here we have compiled some of the very best in the ugly-garden game – if you’re lucky enough to have a garden in the first place.

1) Privacy, who?

I mean, who even needs a fence nowadays? Why gatekeep the beauty of this garden when you can share it with your neighbours and general passers-by. Some may say security is a concern, but as we know, Lenton is a famously safe area so who cares?

The addition of the seemingly very functional washing line adds to the practicality of this space. Maybe the washing line is actually holding the fence panel up?

2) Garden/alley is all the rage

What we love about this garden is the way it is completely accessible to the public. I’m sure there is many a punter eager to take in this marvellous piece of green space. The unique use of mosaic tiling here is also quite beautiful and gives the garden a European-like flair.

3) The perfect addition to the perfect party garden

What can be more convenient than a bathroom in your garden? Let’s face it, we could all do with some more fresh air, and why not get some whilst going about your business. This stylistic choice is not only practical but as you can see, very chic with that retro-feel of going back to a simpler time, back when our great-grandparents’ bathrooms weren’t inside.

4) A tranquil space to relax

Concrete and plastic chairs are a combo I’m sure we’ll be seeing in upcoming garden magazines. Such an innovative use of the space.

Is there anything better?

5) An Instagram-worthy use of #lawnornaments

The decoration here is inspiring. What a view to enjoy with a morning coffee.

6) Prison couture

There’s nothing nicer to wake up to in the morning than tall grey brick walls, like in a prison. This garden serves as a great reminder to obey the law, so you don’t have to face this view again.

7) Garden or skip? Who knows

The lucky tenants of this home were fortunate enough to have a two-in-one skip and garden.

8) It’s giving tropical realness

Can you take the term “green space” too far? We think not. This space channels urban greening to the very core. The use of plants and vegetation, also termed “weeds”, has really brought this garden to life.

9) But is it art?

This one isn’t actually all that bad. You’ve got strong walls, a table for outside dining, a trampoline for recreation and a headboard, well err, serving as contemporary art?

10) The beheaded chef

Judging by the scene of the crime, someone had had a little too much to drink.

Thought you didn’t need a garden? Well, I’m sure we’ve changed your mind. Now you can see what you could be getting from a student garden.

10 lessons you’ll learn as a Notts student in your first semester

What your favourite place to buy food on campus says about you

Eight ways to channel your inner child as a Notts student