Line of Duty actress Vicky McClure receives honorary degree from University of Nottingham

Vicky was recognised for her work with dementia charities

Nottingham-born Line of Duty actress Vicky McClure has received an honorary degree from the University of Nottingham.

She was made a Doctor of Letters receiving her degree from the university’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor for global engagement, professor Robert Mokaya. Vicky then went on to deliver a speech to students graduating from the university’s school of Sociology and Social Policy.

via University of Nottingham

Vicky grew up in Wollaton, Nottingham, where she went on to earn a place at the Television Workshop aged 11. She is most well know for her roles as Detective Inspector Kate Fleming in the BBC series Line of Duty, and Lol Jenkins in the film This is England and its sequel mini-series on Channel 4.

In 2018, the actress joined forces with the university to produce the documentary Our Dementia Choir with Vicky McClure. She was inspired to do so after caring for her Nana Iris and from her role as an ambassador for the Alzheimer’s Society.

via University of Nottingham

Upon receiving the honorary degree Vicky said: “The Dementia Choir have taught me so much over the years. Through the TV series to it becoming a registered charity, it is by far my proudest work to date.

“To have my work with dementia recognised by the University of Nottingham is a real honour.

“They have played a huge part in helping myself and viewers of the series understand scientifically, the positive effects music has to people living with dementia.”

Featured image via University of Nottingham. 

• Notts graduation ceremony cut short after staff member collapses on stage

• Notts Trent grad’s stolen phone was given back after thief saw her graduation pics on it

• Scared about graduation? We asked recent Notts grads for their advice