Notts graduation ceremony cut short after staff member collapses on stage

The staff member was reportedly given CPR on stage

A graduation ceremony at the University of Nottingham was cut short after a member of staff collapsed on stage.

The staff member, who was reading out the names of graduates, collapsed mid ceremony and reportedly had to be given CPR on stage, according to those at the event.

The attendees at the ceremony yesterday for the School of Health and Science were ushered out of the building whist the staff member received help and was taken to hospital.

A student who was at the ceremony told the Tab Notts: “They had to be taken to hospital and they nearly cancelled the rest of the graduations. They started doing CPR on stage.”

When the ceremony resumed, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Nottingham thanked the ceremony’s attendees, she said: “Thanks to the swift action of our staff and our students, our colleague has been taken to hospital and is responding very well to care.

“We will be thinking of her and wishing her a speedy recovery, but I know that the very last thing [our colleague] would want is for this to take focus away from your special day, so let’s resume the ceremony and celebrate your achievements.”

A spokesperson for the University of Nottingham told the Tab Notts: “Our 9.45am graduation ceremony was paused due an emergency medical incident.

“We wish the person involved a speedy recovery and have apologised for the distress and disruption that this caused. The paused ceremony restarted at noon. All other ceremonies were unaffected.”

• University of Nottingham taking legal action to evict travellers on University Park Campus

• Notts Trent student creates gender-neutral clothing out of tents abandoned at festivals

Girlfriend of a Derby footballer left unconscious after ‘unprovoked’ attack in city centre