Nottingham Trent graduate dies after being attacked on a night out

Nathaniel Bierley was described as ‘loving’ and ‘inspirational’

A Nottingham Trent graduate has died after he was attacked on a night out.

Nathaniel Bierley, 26, was on a night out in Nottingham with his girlfriend celebrating their three year anniversary when he was attacked, as reported by BBC News.

Police were called to the scene on Upper Parliament street at 3:35am on Saturday 5th March to reports a man had been punched and fallen to the ground, BBC News reports. Nathaniel sustained a serious brain injury and was left fighting for his life.

Nathaniel, who graduated from NTU in 2021 with a sports science degree, died in hospital from his injuries 12 days after the attack took place. Three of his organs have been donated which his family hope will save lives.

A 21-year-old man has been charged with grievous bodily harm and is due to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on 6 April. The charge is likely to be changed to manslaughter now that Nathaniel has died, BBC News reports.

An 18-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and a 17-year-old boy was also arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent. Both have been bailed while the investigation continues.

Nathaniel, who was the manager of Nottingham’s Five Guys branch, was known to his friends and family as an avid philanthropist, regularly running marathons to raise money for a type one diabetes charity, a condition from which he suffered.

Louisa Bierley, one of Nathaniel’s three sisters, said: “You always think you have all the time in the world and I can’t believe we can’t make new memories with him. He was such a loving person. He just wanted to explore the world and be a good person.

“We still had more trips to go on and more memories to make. He still had his whole life ahead of him.

“He has really left such an impact on everyone that knew him. He was just so humble, so motivated and so kind, it will be hard to not think about him every single day.”

His sister has said his ashes will be planted with a tree and bench in Wollaton Park as per Nathaniel’s wishes.

• 18 year old charged with grievous bodily harm after two men stabbed in Notts city centre

• Man charged with attempted murder after Nottingham Trent staff member stabbed on campus

• Man arrested following stabbing on NTU’s Clifton Campus this morning