POV: If you relate to these 17 things, you’re the Notts main character

14. You’ve stared into the eyes of the 34 bus driver as it left you for dust

It’s not easy having everything in the world revolve around you. But hey, that’s the life of being the main character. It’s hard. You’re the star of a young adult movie. It’s demanding.

I would know, because I somewhat consider myself to be a Notts main character. And if you relate to the following things, you can probably call yourself one too:

1. You’ve scooted in the sun’s rays as the wind drifted dreamily through your hair

This is simply iconic. The wind rushing through your hair, the feeling of liberation. How else is better to be the main character than by doing this?

Nyoooom

2. Had a night you can barely remember at Rock City

Those of us who have been, or know people who have been, to Rock City will know there’s always a story to tell after the occasion, most of which consist of stuff you really shouldn’t let light of around the kids.

3. Splurged all your cash on coffee

I won’t lie, this is mainly just a shameless plug for my other article on speciality coffee shops. However, that being said, it’s God’s honest truth that 90% of my “budget” – if you can call it that – is thrown in the faces of indie cafés.

Happy place

4. Dyed your hair post-breakdown

Some lucky folk haven’t experienced it, but getting over someone or dealing with some other trauma is incredibly hard. Luckily there’s a simple solution: alter your appearance and, wow, you’re a whole new person.

5. Spent an entire day getting lost in Waterstones

I’m considering writing a sonnet with this book-galore emporium as the subject. It is truly fantastical and ought to be one of the official wonders of the world.

6. Wandered aimlessly around Wollaton Park

Whenever I’m in need of a top-up of nature, I venture over to these parts and attempt to communicate to the deer. They’re just so cute.

I was born in the darkness…

7. Been left perplexed by the exhibitions at Nottingham Contemporary

Frequently I find myself within the walls of this gallery and ponder, confused about what is actually occurring around me. It’s chaos. Like you, it’s art.

Yeah… nah mate

8. Lived off microwave meals for a week

Whether you don’t like cooking, are simply lazy, or, like me, once accidentally blew up the oven, you can’t call yourself a main character unless you’ve had to endure a week of measly microwaved meals.

9. Taken advantage of your disadvantaged student status

So you can’t handle your money, you’re all over the park, and you need to save money. It’s a good thing you’re a student and have that student discount to save you a nice 10 or so per cent.

10. Had a charcuterie night

One of the highlights of this semester so far for me has been when my friend and I were bread ballers for an evening. We bought a selection of bread, a couple of dips, some other bits, hummus included, of course, and just sat and gobbled it all up.

Is that a baguette in your backpack, or are you just excited to see me?

11. Had a wine and cheese night

Similar vibes to above.

12. You always find lesser-known Notts spots

I have done myself a fair bit of exploring over the past few months and there are some really nice spots around here. It really is a joy to find the smaller spaces around and about, like Cobden Place, for instance.

13. You consistently update your wardrobe from second-hand shops

There are so many vintage and charity shops in Notts. So, so many. You turn the corner: they’re there. You close your eyes: they’re there. But hey, they’re pretty good and “thiftcore” is quite the thing now.

Inside COW

So you were too late and the bus began to pull away. Tragic.

This has happened to me an embarrassing number of times, but I suppose I could do with the cardio, in all fairness.

This is the only way I get my steps in

15. When you go to fairs, you nab every freebie possible

I must have acquired about 60 pens, 23 totes and 15 sheep in my arsenal by now. Top stuff.

16. You’ve whipped some killer moves out on buskers

I may have a mild case of what some may class “attention-seeking”, but it is a hoot to let loose and be devoid of any shame.

17. Fell asleep in a nightclub

Whoops.

A guide to thrifting and sustainable fashion in Notts

16 things you’ll only understand if you’re an LGBTQ+ Notts student

What your choice of Notts panic Masters says about you