Red Bull car to rats: Things in Lenton that just make sense

It’s not much, but it’s home

Lenton is quite literally the place to live. Its vibrant atmosphere is unmatched by Beeston and Dunkirk, and it is quite frankly the only place of relevance if you study in Notts.

The wildlife consists of oversized rats and feral cats, and the landmarks are incredibly noteworthy. In the wise words of Clean Bandit “there’s no place I’d rather be.”

It’s a strange place, but everything just makes sense. Here are some of those things:

Wind scooters

The perfect way to get up the mountain that is Derby Road, these scooters are somewhat an addiction in Lenton. Whether it’s scooting around Jubilee or into to the city centre, Wind do not disappoint.

The rats roaming the streets

A leisurely stroll around Lenton would not be complete without a few sightings of the (larger than usual?) rats scurrying across the pavement.

They don’t stick to the shadows or night, they will happily accost you on your way to a 9am.

The Red Bull car

Need I say more? This iconic piece of  artwork found parked here and there in the Lenton triangle could even be deemed a landmark. The provider of the real goods to sports teams in times of need, the mysterious drivers are of a god-status.

The chime of a mysterious ice cream van

The music of an ice cream van can be heard most afternoons through Lenton, but its identity is somewhat of a mystery.

If you have seen it, count yourself lucky. Even luckier if it’s stopped for you to buy one.

Genesis II

This infamous massage parlour is unmissable, and is quite frankly a glorious mascot for Lenton. We will miss this iconic landmark when we leave.

The cats

These monsters roam the streets alone, waiting for the perfect moment to slip through an open front door. They lure in cat lovers, only to leave them scratched and their fridges empty.

Avocafe

Home to the most gentrified students who can afford to buy coffee rather than making it with granules at home.

This Lenton cafe allows for the subtle stalking of your crush across the room whilst you munch on your avocado and halloumi sourdough with your friend Louella and discuss your gap yahs in Bali.

Knocked over bins

If you are lucky enough to have a bottom floor room, you probably have the luxury of listening to the glorious sound of your bins being kicked over as people walk back from the club.

A 9am walk to campus can be made into an assault course as you dodge the contents of bins spilled all across the pavements.

The purple van on Derby Road

Bearing the logo of Tomlinson Estates, this iconic van simply exists on a random driveway on Derby Road and, well, it makes perfect sense.

The Savoy

This cinema is guaranteed to take you back in time, with it’s old school vibe and glorious prices. A true icon in Lenton, it is the perfect spot for when a trip to the cinema calls.

The red tower thing on Jubilee

What even is the giant red metal structure which looms over you as you walk anywhere near Jubilee?

Sometimes known by students as “the giant spliff”, it is not the most beautiful of landmarks, though it is iconic.

• Eight things you only know if you ever lived in Cavendish Hall

Just because first year doesn’t count, doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter

George Green is definitively the best uni library, tell me I’m wrong