Calling all Social Secs: Here are the 29 best themes for your socials

Dress to impress every week

It’s the start of a new term and that means the return of socials and, most definitely, some questionable costumes. There’s nothing that screams uni more than an overflowing fancy dress box and an array of Insta pics in different costumes.

So take a read Social Secs, we’ve got you covered if you’ve ran out of ideas or you could just do what the mens sports teams do and stick to the same shirt and tie every week.

I spoke to some sports teams and societies and got some inspo from their first term social fits, take some notes and make that last minute trip to Luvyababes in the hope that they have what you need – and lets be real they defo will, that shop has it all.

Image may contain: Chair, Furniture, Jeans, Denim, Skirt, Shorts, Dress, People, Girl, Pants, Costume, Woman, Female, Party, Face, Smile, Person, Human, Apparel, Clothing

ABC

Anything but clothes. Simple, no clothes allowed so grab a bin bag and get creative.

Any sort of sport

Obviously you aren’t going to turn up to Crisis in your kit, although it would save time getting ready, but different sports always work as a great theme. You could do boxing, football, tennis, the list goes on. Sportswear is also usually perfect for the sweaty state of the dance floor.

Baywatch

An oldie but a goldie. Most of us did it in freshers but what’s the harm in stepping up your game this term.

This would be an obvious choice for Ocean where you can whip off your top and swing it around your head very appropriately to the theme song, but also a crisis classic.

Here’s a pic of the Cheer ExecCommittee absolutely killing the Baywatch theme at their first social of the year.

Big when you were little

Think of what was popular when you were young, it could be a character like one of the Telletubbies or you could just be covered in loom bands, basically just recall on anything from your childhood. This could make some of the oldies realise just how young the freshers are.

CEOs and office hoes

Get yourself prepping for life after uni with this theme, but we would assume you’d probably require more clothes when in a real office.

Dress as the last person you got with

This one is a bit bold, especially if you know you’re going to awkwardly bump into them in the club, but also comedy gold. Women’s Rugby really set the standard when they did this last term.

Dress as your degree

It could be as simple as putting on a barrister’s wig if you study Law, or a lab coat for Chemistry but some degrees will definitely require more thought.

It may be easy to rely on the typical stereotypes of students on your course so I guess if you study Geography you could go out without shoes and a colouring pencil in hand.

Drop it like F Scott

The Great Gatsby is full of parties and dancing, so the theme lends its hands perfectly to a social. Think Flapper dresses and suited and booted. Who knows, you may finally manage to get the attention of your Daisy.

Dynamic duos

The possibilities are endless with this, think cops and robber, tweedle dum and tweedle dee, celebs, fictional characters, maybe even drinks. Just try and be more original than Mario and Luigi.

Fruit and veg

Who doesn’t want to turn up to Crisis dressed as a carrot? This ones super fun and may involve some coloured face paint because is it really worth it if you don’t go all out.

Image may contain: Night Life, Night Club, Club, Music, Leisure Activities, Person, People, Human

Hawaiian

Summer is not so distant anymore and this theme will definitely create the summer vibes, it may need to be slightly warmer to be queuing in a hula skirt and coconut bra though.

Handymen

The perfect theme to make sure nobody gets lost and it reduces the risk of head injuries, really this is a no brainer.

London Underground

This one may be a bit more tricky but we don’t just mean dress as a tube. Think of the different stations, chuck on an Arsenal shirt, dress as an Angel or get your wellies and some bear ears on for Paddington.

Mario Kart

This one is a suitable theme to grab a Mario costume, you could even get creative and all make your own cars. Surely there has to be some sort of races at pres too.

Noah’s Ark

A bit of a twist on the classic zoo or farmyard theme. Split people up into specific pairs and animals, you may have to get a bit creative with the animals if you are a larger group.

On Wednesdays we wear pink

This is a perfect Crisis theme for when the student loan is running a bit low and you need to use something you already own.

I’m sure you or one of your housemates will definitely be able to find something pink in their wardrobe. This is Swimming’s take on the Mean Girls theme in collaboration with the Nottingham Uni Boob team.

Pub golf

Another obvious choice is pub golf because who doesn’t want to chuck on a visor and set a par and drink for each venue.

Warning, this is likely to get messy and could result with many members tapping out before you even reach the club. Here’s the Gymnastics guys and girls showing us how it’s done.

Pyjama party

Although for some people it may be tricky to actually source some PJs this is an ideal theme when it comes to the end of the night, you can literally get in and go straight to bed.

Seasonal holidays

Theres plenty of occasions and events this term so why not take advantage and use them as a basis for one of your themes.

This is NUDance’s committee smashing the nativity theme last term, and with several national holidays upcoming you can do the same.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and the possibilities are endless, think anything love related: Cupid, a bride and groom or dress as your type are just a few ideas for the evening.

St Patrick’s Day is also just around the corner on March 17th, this is a day that is made for fancy dress, so hunt for something with a four leaf clover on and go get lucky. It would be rude to dress up for the occasion if you don’t have a Guinness to hand whilst doing so.

Easter is also soon, being the perfect opportunity for everyone to pull out their bunny ears again.

Shit shirts

An absolute classic, questionably criminal to not have a social with this theme.

The Sims

A perfect way to get rid of the overflowing recycling bin by wearing your cardboard as a costume. Bring your virtual life to reality with this one, and be easily found with the green diamond above your head.

Superheroes

Avengers assemble, whether you want to dress as a specific hero or just chuck on a cape, this theme will guarantee a super night. Also very appropriate for the upcoming Superheroes vs Villains Crisis on 9th March.

Tight and bright

Bright leotards, tights and leg warmers are the way to go with this one. Nothing says fun more than some neon!

Through the ages

With plenty of decades to choice from, this is a super versatile theme. You could throw it back to the roaring 20s, wear a toga and be a Roman for the night or whip out your hippie sunglasses for the 60s, or the whole group could stick to one era.

TV or films

The options are endless with this one but why not set your social theme to be on trend. You can keep it classic with I’m a Celeb or stay up to date with a Euphoria theme – think everything glitter, gems and Maddy’s famous I.AM.GIA flares.

You could also go down the X factor route because who doesn’t want to recreate Ant and Seb’s Mysterious Girl on the middle of the dance floor.

Under the sea

Another very appropriate one for the Big O. Fresher sharks won’t be the only sea creatures on this night out with a massive list of creatures that live under the sea. A mermaid is always a good call.

White lies

Its second term now so there’s been time for everyone new to get to know each other so why not go out and expose all your secrets. This one is super simple, all you need is a white t shirt and a marker to write each others lies at pres.

You are what you drink

This one may not be super simple but dressing as a a bottle of  Jäger does sound appealing. You could even try and create a costume of some sort of cocktail.

If you don’t hit the nail on the head though, be prepared for people to keep asking you what you are.

Any sort of fancy dress where the freshers get the bad end of the stick

We’ve all been there, a social where the older years get to look lovely whilst you’re a fresher and look absolutely ridiculous and quite frankly it would be silly to stop this tradition.

Think cops and robbers, princess and the pea, eggs and soldiers, sea and semen, the list is endless. Just remember, if you’re a fresher you won’t be for long and you’ll defo be laughing at the newbies next year.

Image may contain: Face, Tattoo, Night Life, Human, Person, Skin

The list could go on because honestly anything goes when it comes to socials but I hope we’ve managed to give you some ideas for this term, can’t wait to see everyone back in style at Crisis and Ocean.

• Single for Valentine’s Day? Sign up for Nottingham Goes Dating and find your perfect match

• The most aesthetic places to take photos in Notts

• A run down of the 10 best Notts happy hours