University of Nottingham student tests positive for new Omicron Covid variant

This is the second Omicron case in Nottingham

A student from the University of Nottingham has tested positive for the new Omicron variant of Covid-19.

This is the second person in Nottingham to test positive for the new variant of the virus that was first discovered in South Africa.

It is unknown whether the student has any connection to the first case of the variant in Nottinghamshire that was reported on Saturday.

In a statement made to Nottinghamshire Live, a University of Nottingham spokesperson said:”Whilst we do not ordinarily comment on individual cases, we can confirm that a student is among the increasing number of people reporting cases of the Omicron variant nationwide.

“The student has been off-campus and self-isolating throughout the period of infection. We are supporting them in liaison with the public health authorities and wish them a speedy recovery.

“The university has strong Covid security measures in place, encouraging full vaccination and weekly Covid tests for staff and students, and we have gone beyond government policy minnow mandating the use of face masks across campus, in addition to the government requiring their use on public transport and in shops”

The spokesperson added that only 20 students out of 35,000 are currently isolating for corona virus, and are all following national guidance.

Related titles recommended by this author:

• All over-18 Nottingham students are now eligible for a Covid booster jab

• One of first UK cases of new Omicron Covid variant found in Nottingham

• University of Nottingham has made it mandatory for masks to be worn in all indoor spaces