UoN to open a new campus

It will be a hub for third year and post-graduate students

UoN plans to open a new campus near Nottingham Station. It will serve as a hub for both final year and post-graduate students.

The uni has bought the site for more than £36 million in the hopes of expanding the university’s presence into the city centre. 

The current occupiers of some of the buildings are not set to move out until September 2022.

The site is located a few steps away from Nottingham Station alongside the canal. Four of the five buildings are currently used by HMRC, who are not set to vacate their buildings on the site until the end of September 2022.

Originally listed for sale back in May 2021, it was confirmed earlier this week that the university’s bid of more than £36 million for the land was successful after previous plans to convert the site into over 300 flats fell through.

UoN’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Shearer West says this acquisition is a “hugely exciting opportunity….[and] is an expression of confidence in the future of both the university and the city of Nottingham.

“Having a campus in the city, with transport links that offer a gateway beyond the region, will help enhance our civic agenda and enable us to deliver on our ambitions to support jobs, investment and growth across the city. It also offers greater opportunities for collaboration with local business, industry and SMEs, making it easier for partners to engage with us and develop long-term, mutually beneficial relationships.

“For students in particular the site could enable greater and more convenient links with regional business and industry through placements, entrepreneurship, and collaboration to deliver a professional and practice-based curriculum, enhancing their graduate employment skills and opportunities to remain and work in the city.

“A civic and professional campus at Castle Meadow will accelerate the delivery of our strategic ambitions, demonstrating to the people of Nottingham just how far we are prepared to go to make a positive difference for the city, while offering the best of facilities for staff and current and future students.”

• What’s MFA and why are there posters about it everywhere on campus?

• Notts Christmas Market is now open

• Strikes will take place at University of Nottingham in December