Nottingham has one of the highest percentages of unvaccinated young people in the country

44 per cent of under 30 year olds in the city are yet to be vaccinated

Nottingham has one of the highest percentages of unvaccinated young people.

According to government figures, over 40 percent of 18 – 29 year-olds are yet to have their first jab, leaving Nottingham with the fifth highest percentage of unvaccinated young people in the UK.

This puts Nottingham just behind Liverpool at 45.7 per cent, Islington at 45.8 per cent, Coventry with 48.8 per cent and Birmingham with the highest percentage of unvaccinated young people in the country at 50.3 per cent.

As of 19th September, just under 100,000 young people in Nottingham were eligible for their first dose, however only around 50,000 had taken it up.

Breaking down the age category, 60 percent of 18 – 24 year olds in the city have had their first dose in comparison to 70 per cent of over 30s.

This percentage is part of the 5.9 million people in the UK who are eligible for their first vaccination but have opted not to get it.

In light of Freshers week that is currently happening at universities across the country, Professor Stephen Powis, national medical director of NHS England, urged young people to get the vaccine:

“Starting university is a really exciting time and getting your Covid vaccine means you will be armed with maximum protection against the virus,

“With many universities set to run pop-ups and walk-ins throughout the first weeks of term it has never been easier to get protected, so I urge anyone yet to be vaccinated to take up the offer as soon as possible.”

This figure comes after Lenton, the student hub of Nottingham, had the highest rate of Coronavirus cases in the whole of the country back in October 2020 during the thick of the pandemic.

Nottingham Trent allowed three convicted killers to give lectures to students

• University of Nottingham rejects Catholic Chaplain over abortion tweets

UoN delays releasing degree certificates, advises students pay if they need them urgently