University of Nottingham and Trent Uni investigating after Islamophobic TikTok video

The video shows two girls confronted for ‘pulling on’ a Muslim woman’s hijab

Both Nottingham University and Nottingham Trent have said they are investigating after an Islamophobic video surfaced on TikTok.

The video shows two girls being confronted for “pulling on” a Muslim woman’s hijab. It now has over 1.5 million views on the app.

The girls have not been identified, but have been widely linked to both Nottingham University and Nottingham Trent on social media. Both universities have confirmed to The Nottingham Tab that they are investigating.

In the video, a woman approaches the two girls, saying: “What makes you think it was okay to pull on my hijab?”.

The pair hastily denied the allegations, claiming that they were just “waving their arms about” and that they “didn’t mean to”. The woman also says the two had also told her to “fuck off”, saying: “You know that’s pretty racist?”

The Tab Nottingham spoke to the woman involved in the incident, who says she has also reported it to the police.

She described it as being “traumatising” as she says she’s “started wearing the hijab very recently”. She says she is “very upset that racial abuse still exists”, and told us that she “did not expect something like this to happen”.

A University of Nottingham spokesperson said: “We have been made aware of a social media post involving people who are claimed to be students at the University of Nottingham and we are currently trying to identify these individuals.

“If we are able to confirm that they are our students, we will take the appropriate action under our Student Code of Discipline. The University of Nottingham will not tolerate racism in any form, it has absolutely no place on our campuses or anywhere else in society.”

A spokesperson for Nottingham Trent University said: “We have been made aware of a social media post which has been claimed by some members of the public to involve a Nottingham Trent University student.

“We have been working to establish the identity of this person, but the name which has been provided to us does not appear on our student records system.

“If it is established that this individual is one of our students, we will take swift and appropriate action under our student code of behaviour. Nottingham Trent University does not tolerate racism. Any allegations are taken extremely seriously and, when provided with evidence that supports any allegations, we take immediate disciplinary action.”