How to turn your Lenton living room into a yoga sanctuary

How to transform your Lenton living room into a 5-star studio without spending a penny

In this seemingly never-ending lockdown, you might be looking for a new activity to keep you fit at uni, at least until Rock City opens their doors again.

If you haven’t yet boarded the yoga train, I am presenting you with a first-class ticket to inner peace, and an excellent excuse to procrastinate away your impending deadlines in the interest of self-care.

The practice of yoga originated in Northern India over 5000 years ago and is said to not only benefit your body, but also your mind by incorporating meditation and breathing exercises. So, whether you’re in need of a heart-racing hot yoga session or a relaxing restorative flow, here are some tips to turn your uni space from student crib to studio chic and get that body moving.

Set up your space

First, you need to set the scene for a truly yogic experience. Start by collecting any fairy lights or candles, battery operated will do (thank you student housing regulations) that you’ll have strewn around the house to create some soft mood lighting.

If you have a house-plant fanatic living amongst you then you’re in luck! You may be able to borrow a few of their beloved plant children to scatter around so you can truly feel at one with nature. Chances are they’ll also have a salt lamp or oil diffuser to hand to add to the experience. If you can get your hands on some incense, then you’ve truly hit the jackpot – get those smells wafting and settle in for a session of ultimate relaxation.

Limber up

Next you want to get your comfies on – opt for some athleisure or trackies but skip the socks so you don’t slide about in your downward dog. Roll out your yoga mat (if you don’t have a mat, a bath towel works just fine) and get yourself either a glass of water or a steamy herbal tea, depending on the intensity of the session.

If you want to play some calming music, Spotify has some great yoga and meditation playlists that you can check out. Once you’re ready to go, it’s time to choose how you want to move.

Go with the flow

If you’re just starting out on your yoga journey, there are some great follow along sessions on Youtube. YouTuber ‘Yoga with Adriene’ released her new 30 day yoga series last month that’s beginner friendly but will have you back-bending and crow-posing in no time. As you get more confident with your practice you might start putting together your own yoga flows or pick up some yoga playing cards to test your ability.

At the end of the day, lockdown life is hard, so if you end up having a nap lying on your back with your arms outstretched, you’ve at least mastered the Corpse Pose and you’re one step closer to becoming a yogi.

Namaste.